Need advice on engine,tranny,rear end switch for 81 monte - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 04:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need advice on engine,tranny,rear end switch for 81 monte

Was hoping to get some insight.
I have a ****ty 267 motor, pretty sure a piece of crap 200 turbo tranny and although Im not sure of the gearing for the rear end, I do know it is an original. (1981 Monte carlo-all original).
I would like to swap the engine out with a 350, but I will be driving this car daily and I dont want to pay through the nose at the pumps too often. I do want some power but I also want the fuel efficiency. I was thinking a 4 barrel 305 would be good power for a car of that size. But if anyone knows a better way, like say a 350 with some jewellry on it to get a decent mile per gallon........ Really I am fishing here for some of you readers tp give me your opinion on what you would do with a car like this. Its in pretty good shape otherwise,T-tops. Now, the rear end is another question. Its probably a piece of garbage too not meant for 350 power or even 305 power.......Why they built a nice car like a monte and gave it crap like that .............Oh yeah, and Im not a kazillionaire either so I would also like the best bang for my buck. I keep hearing 350 w/350 turbo tranny, no answer on a rear end(I dont even know what rear end I have now). I need more detail than that though, thats why Im asking some of you older vets to help a new guy out.
I hear rebuilt 305's are a dime a dozen............................
Its your build, let me know......
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Your rear end is probably a 2.78, which is pretty crappy for acceleration too.

Engine wise, I would go with the 350. Will cost you a little more initially, but will be cheaper in the long run, especially if you are hopping it up a little.

Transmission, if you don't have a lot of money, go turbo350. The overdrive trannies are more expensive. If you can afford one, great, but the turbo350s are a lot cheaper.

Rearend definitely needs to be changed to at least a 3.55.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:01 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It sounds like mileage is a major concern here. No offense poncho62 but the combination you suggested won't be real conducive to help mileage. A TH350 with 3.55 gears will get up and go pretty good but his mileage will go right down the pooper...
He would be better to spend the money up front for a 200R4 OD tranny . The steeper first gear will help a little off the line and his new found power in the 350 will help to dispell some of the highway gear blues the 2.50 or 2.70 series rear gears will give him. Keep the rearend as is until you can afford to upgrade it to some better gears or a posi. in the future.
Mark
Old 12-16-2003, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Why not a 700r then, it has an even lower 1st gear.

I had a 2.78 rear in my truck and swaped it to a 3.55. the mileage did drop a little, but not nearly what I thought it was going to. It sure gets out of the hole a whole (no pun intended) better.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

hey EverReady!974

im kinda doing the same as you, i have a 82 Grand prix with a 267 but it has a TH350 stock. i just got my tranny rebuilt and got a 305 SBC outa a 80 monte carlo.

Maybe your trans is a TH350 too...

i see your in edmonton, im in calgary

ive only driven my car about a hour on the highway to bring it home so i never really got to use the 267. it was sitting for like 4 years and then my friend bought the car and drove it for a week and sold it to me(he had no place for it)... it had all the spark plugs and everything where the same ones so it was pretty weak, full throttle was like normal excel lol. a friend that works with GM says the 267 is a pretty decent engine. has the same stroke as a 350. i think it would be good in a daily driver with a rebuild and performer camshaft and a 4bbl intake and carb. but i cant see the engine being that good when it was only made for 3 years and its a canadian model. ok ill stop my boring talk now.

Good Luck with whatever you do.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:34 PM

The 81 monte blues

Thanks for the advice on my car guys. Seems like a good idea to leave the rear end until I can afford a rear end worth paying some hard earned cash on. Sounds to me like I may indeed have a TH350 tranny in that car considering that an 82 Grand prix has a stock 267 with a stock TH350. Those cars were extremely similiar. I guess I would have to figure out what the hell a TH 350/turbo200 actually looked like. Its a little embarrasing (my lack of knowledge) but hey, Im new to this racket. I guess the 305 4 barrel is a bad idea for a car like this. I will give it some more thought, but I am leaning towards the 350.

I would also welcome any added input into this as I am learning off your thoughts.. I should look into how much all this is gonna cost. Also, I realize that 350's come in a wide range of different horsepower. The 700R sounds like an excellent transmission, although the price tag reflects that. I do have some time to weigh my options, aside from the engine problems I am encountering right now which I have a feeling are minor. The engine is not an option for keeping though.
What pisses me off is that I just smashed my 84' silverado a couple months back and had to sell it due to lack of space. It had plenty of goodies I could have used on this car. Ah well, c'est la vie.
Thanks again for the help and hope to hear some more ideas.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Re: The 81 monte blues

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EverReady!974
[B] Sounds to me like I may indeed have a TH350 tranny in that car considering that an 82 Grand prix has a stock 267 with a stock TH350. Those cars were extremely similiar. I guess I would have to figure out what the hell a TH 350/turbo200 actually looked like.

Look here

http://store1.yimg.com/I/kdsperformance_1762_1071367
Old 12-17-2003, 07:47 PM

poncho

Thanks for the help poncho, I like your honesty. You know your stuff and I appreciate the info.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

I quess that I am old and wise.....I would rather be young and stupid....lol
Old 12-20-2003, 06:49 AM

everready..i have a 84 monte carlo with a 377 c.i. motor and 700r4 od tranny and have not changed out my rearend i believe what poncho said is correct (2.78 gear)
the 700r4 has real good take off and i can burn through 1st and 2nd but i have had to take good care of the rear though(change oil and put in insta-trac limited slip additive) it helps and isnt too expensive the tranny handles the car very well if you can i would get one and there are alot of upgrades for theses tranny's..
i cant wait to get my 4.11 posi axle in i want to see what it will hook like..lol
Old 12-20-2003, 10:18 AM

I assume the 2 mc';s mentioned are not super sports? I know the SS's had 3.42 rear-ends stock.

As for if your tranny is a TH350 or a 200r4

Just look at the pan on the botton,
if it seems more elongated, and has 16 bolts, its going to be a 200r4

The th350 pan is more squarish, with 13 bolts.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:53 PM

\In response to eightyfourmc, no it is not a ss. Its has all the goodies, power everything and T-bar roof, but unfortunately it is not the SS package.
I will have a look at poncho's tranny picture and let you guys know what is in there. I know this is probably a dumb question but, is the 200R4 the same tranny as the "turbo 200"?
Thanks again to everyone for the help.

I was wondering where would be the best place to buy a engine and tranny. Should I buy new, or rebuilt? Should I have toothless Joe the mechanic throw it in or go somewhere you can eat off the floors? im kidding. I JUST DONT WANT TO GET BURNT. Money is an issue, and getting burnt is an even bigger issue. Had a 4-pass rad thrown in my 84' silverado, that ******* ran it into a jack, smashed my front end. Anyways, what kind of place am I looking for and what kind of questions should I be asking relating to the engine/tranny? Thanks guys.

Last edited by EverReady!974; 12-20-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:03 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

i have a 85 ss monte carlo & it's bone stock. 305 engine with a 200r4 transmission & 3.73 gears. i get around 17-21 miles to the gallon & it will keep up with my 88 gt mustang from a dead stop. if you want to do something a little different with your motor build a 334. it's a 305 block (.030" over) with a 400 crank.you could get by with a stock cam & vortec heads & make more power (torque) than a stock 350. as far as a rear end i would go with 3.42 rear gears, their good all the way around ( as long as your not going to put in a 200r4) with a 350 turbo. if you go with a 200r4 or 700r4 i would use 3.73 gears (because of the overdrive). just giving you some idea's

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.