Need advice for first project car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need advice for first project car

I am looking to take on my first project vehicle, and have found a 49 Cadillac that I am very interested in. I have never done any body work, and am wondering if anyone can tell me from these pictures whether or not it seems like it would be a reasonable first project, and if the vehicles body merits the $2500 asking price... Any advice that you all have would be greatly appreciated...

Also, what is the point at which a car is just too far gone?

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadi1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadi2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	8726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadi3.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	8727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadi4.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	8728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadi5.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	8729  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

If you have never done bodywork that car will be a nightmare for you.
The rust is a lot worse than it looks with the chrome on.

Those were a great car and if was a two door I would be interested.

Your looking at just re-chroming of $4,000-10,000 for that car.

It would be a very expensive first job and even a pro could not do the car and make money selling it as the market is not there yet.

By the way, that is a very fair price if car drives.
A relative just paid $12,000 for a 48 a month ago but its all original nice
low millage car from a 2nd owner,
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

IMHO, the car is way too far gone to be considered for restoration for what the car is. I wouldn't take that car for free. The car shows very severe rust. And, I bet there are many severe rust problems you can't see.

The main problem is that the car is not special enough to merit the amount of work it would take to restore it. And I would say that to anyone no matter how much body work experience they had. More money and work would be thrown in this project than could be recovered in the end and it wouldn't even be close.

The only way someone would restore a car like this would be if it had been in the family and there is very strong memories and money and time just didn't matter.

Roger
Old 12-30-2005, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Of course if you still want to buy that caddy you could make it look like this one!

That is our own Randy Ferguson doing the painting.

So it can be done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cadDCP00332.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8750   Click image for larger version

Name:	cadDCP00331.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	8751   Click image for larger version

Name:	cadDCP00330.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	8752  
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

First timer car

Well anything can be restroed or rodded provided one has the time or money to do so..For a first time guy I woudl sincerley go look for something kind of neat that runs and drives so you can just tinker along and make it decent..

There is a very steep learning curve to this hobby and a guy can get real dis-couraged if he takes on a real big project and does not have a great deal of skills yet..

I know one can get out and look around at the swap meets and find domething that is pretty close to done and just do some fixing and improving and have a nice car for not a great deal of outlay..Or at least reasonable..

The first car is more of a schooling experince any way to my way of looking at things..

OMT
Old 12-30-2005, 07:06 PM

I do love those old caddys . To do that car right it would have to be a frame off job. I would recommend you find something in better shape that doesn't require you to do a frame off. Don't be swayed by the one Barry posted. A whole lot of work and MONEY went into that beauty.
I think the best bet for your first would be something in the Chevy line.
Parts are a lot easier to come by and a lot easier resale later.
JMHO Ricco
Old 12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Very wise to ask about the project! Most guys don't look before they leap, Im guilty of that! I agree with the other guys, that car would be a handful.However if you did do a frame off resto on it any other car you do would seem easy! But if you limited on funds and time like most of us I would pass on this car.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

See below, I clicked b4 I was done and ended up with 2 post's

Last edited by matt167; 12-30-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Well anything can be restroed or rodded provided one has the time or money to do so..For a first time guy I woudl sincerley go look for something kind of neat that runs and drives so you can just tinker along and make it decent..

There is a very steep learning curve to this hobby and a guy can get real dis-couraged if he takes on a real big project and does not have a great deal of skills yet..

I know one can get out and look around at the swap meets and find domething that is pretty close to done and just do some fixing and improving and have a nice car for not a great deal of outlay..Or at least reasonable..

The first car is more of a schooling experince any way to my way of looking at things..

OMT
this is basicly what I did. I bought a '51 Chevy Fleetline 4dr Deluxe with the 235/PG 62k miles, saw it for 3 years on the side of the road, told my mom I wanted it for 3 years, she always said " we don't have a garage ", but 3 years later and $800 bucks poorer, it was in my driveway. it did not run at the time because of bad points and condensor and bad fuel pump ( owner had it running in '98, but fuel pump went out on him ), but had a fairly in tact interior ( mice didn't find this 1 but it is deteriorated, seats are good tho ), all good glass ( except vent windows ) . brakes compleatly redone and fixed ( still work fine ) floorboards replaced, 1/4 sections replaced, new rockers included, and he gaurenteed it would run with new points and a fuel pump, put those things in, and a new battery, pulled the choke, little gas in the carb, turned the key, kit the button, and 3 cranks later, it was running. I just have to fix a small clog in fuel line and put tires on it b4 I can put it on the road because all the lights work, and radio works but tempormental ( dosent always turn on ). it is my first project, and I will compleate it as a frame on, it won't be great but it will be decent. medium dark grape purple, purple and white vinyl interior, windshield sunvisor ( got 1 off Ebay ), circa 1955 ( approx ) correct speed parts on the engine ( fenton headders, Offy intake, Smitty's glasspacks, run to echo cans or bellflowers ). it is somthing I know I can compleate

The day after I brought it home

A photochop of what it will look like, except wide whites with moon caps, and no lakes pipes.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco
I do love those old caddys . To do that car right it would have to be a frame off job. I would recommend you find something in better shape that doesn't require you to do a frame off. Don't be swayed by the one Barry posted. A whole lot of work and MONEY went into that beauty.
JMHO Ricco
Thats a very true statement.
Of course the people on here that know Randy, there is not one drop of bodyfiller on this whole car.
He makes all the panels.
A true artist.
barry
Old 12-30-2005, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for all of the info...

I'm really glad you guys are around, or I would have had one expensive paper-weight... I really hope to be able to complete an old caddy project some day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco
JMHO Ricco
Is there a specific vehicle/year that you would recommend over another as a project for a beginner?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMiddlefinger
Wow, thanks for all of the info...

I'm really glad you guys are around, or I would have had one expensive paper-weight... I really hope to be able to complete an old caddy project some day...

Is there a specific vehicle/year that you would recommend over another as a project for a beginner?
If that Caddy your were looking at would have been a 2 door and you had a couple of other parts cars for it around with some good panels, maybe a project like that would start making some sense. (And, with some experience under your belt.)

Anyway, an older Chevy where parts are plentiful would be the 55-57. A 2-door is always going to be way more desirable than a 4-door but the initial cost is going to be higher. I would hold out for a 2-door if I were you. Two-door wagons are somewhat popular and of course, the Nomads are way cool.
You also could look for one that is partially restored and/or comes with some new parts. I could kick myself for not going for a partially restored 55 Nomad I saw for sale at a swap meet 3 years ago. He wanted 15K and I bet I could've talked him down some.

Last edited by roger1; 12-31-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:15 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Everyone has their own tastes in vehicles for projects. Being a first project, I would suggest that you find something that is a little closer to road worthy. Maybe you can find something that someone else started and has to get rid of.

The main thing when looking for a project car is to find one that is mostly there. If it isn't one of the most popular models, some of the trim parts and information may be hard to find. I would not rule out a car juust because it is something different, if all of the parts are there, if it really interests you.

Aaron
Old 01-01-2006, 04:02 AM

Last photo:

good stuff

I really appreciate all of the good avice you all have given me. I get home from my current MidEast deployment in 25 days... Just in time for a big swap meet in Maryland. Hopefully I'll find something there...

However, if I don't, I'll restore a little red Radio Flyer... Like Hot Rodding methedone perhaps?

John

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.