Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need Advice on Ford 390 FE Ignition!!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Advice on Ford 390 FE Ignition!!!!

Guys,

As you can probably tell from my avatar - I'm a "Cheavy Guy"!

However, in a moment of weakness here in my senior years, I have "gone over to the dark side" and bought a FORD (a '63 T'Bird Coupe). Seriously, I have ALWAYS thought that the "Bullet Birds" ('61 thru '63) were among the THE sexiest cars ever!

The car is currently a "driver". I plan to do some restoration and upgrades and make it into a "Saturday Night Cruiser", plus use it for some short Route 66, Bluebonnet, and Fall Color type road trips with my bride.

This is NOT planned or intended to be a performance ride (as if a '63 Bird could be! ). I 've got my '53 Corvette Replica for that! I don't plan to invest a lot in it , but neither am I trying to do it on the cheap.

Now to the point (no pun intended): What would you guys do to/with the ignition? I going to install all new parts (plugs, wires, etc.), but what about the distributor? Should I just stay with the points? Install a breakerless conversion? Go to HEI? Other? I would like to keep it relatively simple.

I just want to end up with a cool dependable ride that we SHOULD have had 40+ years ago (my bride and I started dating in 1963)

Here's your chance to help spend my retirement!

texastomeh