Need advice on a good electric fan set up. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need advice on a good electric fan set up.

Hi Yall, Got a ? about going with an electric fan instead of my clutch fan in my 76 GMC pu. It has a 350 sbc, and a Griffin 31" X 19" aluminum radiator, with two 1" cores. I cant afford one of those $300. to $400. radiators that summit has in there mag, so i was looking for one in the $100. to $125. range. It seems that all the electric fans in the summit catalog opperate at different cfm levels, and are different sizes. Im just not sure at which size, or how many cfm's, i would need for my application. I tried to install the clutch fan that i have, but even with an 1 1/2 fan spacer, the fan is to far away from the radiator. Plus the fan shroud wont fit right either, and when i tried the clutch fan without the shroud, the motor would get up to 225 deg's. One of the fans i was looking at in the Summit catalog, is a 16" fan from Perma-Cool that puts out 2,950 cfm's, for $109.00. But i dont know if i'dd need a fan shroud with it or not. (Please Advise)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 02:34 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

My friend and I both have the flex-a-lite dual 12" fans on both of our pickups. I believe they move around 2500 cfm of air air neither vehicle runs hot at all. I have mine set to come on at 205 and shut off at 190. They work great. Mine run a lot more than the fans in my friends truck but my engine also makes much more power.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Cool man thanX for the input, i seen that fan in summits catalog for around $200 or so, and is for up to 250hp. My 350sbc in my 76 GMC, is around 325 to 340hp. So the fan i have in mind should be just fine then, with 2,950 cfm's.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:08 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetmaster
Cool man thanX for the input, i seen that fan in summits catalog for around $200 or so, and is for up to 250hp. My 350sbc in my 76 GMC, is around 325 to 340hp. So the fan i have in mind should be just fine then, with 2,950 cfm's.
That might be what they say, I put 280 hp to the wheels on a chassis dyno a couple years ago with those fans and Ive never had any problems with them. They'll definitely cool 350 hp pretty easily.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I have played with dual Derale's and a Flex-a-Lite Black magic with good results. Make sure you make a shroud to cover all or at leas most of the radiator if you are going to have it as your only form of cooling. Look in my project journal if you want to see a nice looking shroud made of aluminum.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Don't waste time comparing cfm ratings, because the airflow of a fan is completely dependent on things like air density, temp, and amps/volts available. Under certain conditions even a small fan can move huge amounts of air. If your car runs cool at speeds over 40 mph but heats up in slow traffic, your radiator is fine.You need to increase the air flow through the core, this can be done with a proper fitting fan shroud. Close quarters in the engine compartment may force you to add an electric fan. If you chose a thermostatically controlled fan it will come on only when needed. If you use an electric fan, always use a relay and heavy guage wire. Electric fans use a lot of juice, if you do not allow for this you can easily burn up your whole car.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Make sure the rest of your electrical is in good shape. I killed a 140 amp alternator and blamed the fans but it was actuall a faulty starter switch that had a small short that pulled more than enough power to kill an alternator. I switched back to a mechanical while I went through the switch and the like and have not had time to switch back.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

A popular fan with street rodders is made by Cooling Componets and is a 15 inch fan with a shroud that measures 19x22 I think. It wouldn't cover your whole radiator, but two thirds of it. I have seen it on many V8 street rods. It costs $210 and I know Walker Radiator sells it. I also see them on page 70 of the Vintageair catalogue.

I am using one on a mild 350 Olds and it seems to be doing the job after about 3 weeks on the road. Originally I used a 14 inch Zirgo fan with no shroud and it didn't do the job although it was rated at 2700 cfm. A well fitted shroud makes a big difference.

John
Old 10-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Also, check Yogisinc.com for good selection of electric fans with integrated shroud. Cooling Components is rated 2700 cfm, there is also a larger fan in shroud for $279.

John
Old 10-03-2005, 11:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Go to the j/y and pick up a fan from a 3.8L Taurus. They come with a shroud that fits well on many cars, have 2 speeds, and put out A LOT OF AIR. They are also fairly cheep if bought used (new they are around $300).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l....8&btnG=Search
Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Electric fans for cars with 3.5L and above where the electric fan is the only means of cooling will provide enough air flow for most V-8 applications. The 90-95 Taurus fan is an excellent choice! I use on on my 4.6L (in-line AMC six, no Ford!!) as the sole source of cooling with no problems. These things pull about 30 amps on high speed and about three times that on startup (but for no more than a second). So you'll need 10 gauge wire from the battery through a relay. I use an adjustable thermostat. Another good candidate is a Volvo 960 fan setup. Some four wheelers have had good results using dual fan setups from a Nissan Maxima V-6.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 PM

Fan set ups.

Well, this is a big radiator. It can hold either (2) 13" or 14" fans side by side. If you had room for it then you would see a big difference in the way it cooled. How much room is there between the motor and the radiator? I never do anything to it if what you already have works however. The only other options you would have to consider would be a shroud, mounting and wiring the fans. The shroud would have to be custom made. This would do a world of good. Please feel free to call us at * for further details. Thanks for asking!!!

Last edited by Jon; 01-06-2006 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Specific business contact details removed. Please see business posting policy at: http://www.hotrodders.com/help/board/business.html
Old 01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
When all else fails burn it

Last journal entry: more hiding stuff
Last photo:

hey I was looking to maybe put the Taurus fan set up on My 65 comet. I was just wondering if anyone could give me the specifications of the whole Assembly. Like height by width. and thickness. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Another good one is the two speed Lincoln Mark VIII fan from 93-96 or so. Measures 19" high by 22" wide, 5.75" deep. It can move almost 4,000 cfm on high. It will draw a lot of current, so amke sure you have plenty of alternator!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.