Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need advice for installing new crate motor
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lon77
I'm getting ready to put a new crate 350 in my GMC. My questions are:

1. What do I need to hook up the transmission (T350), I have a flexplate and linkage what else is there I might need on the motor side.

2.For break in do I have to use diesel motor oil? And with this being a new GM motor has it already been broke in at the factory.

I know these are probably real simple questions but the first engine I put in was used and went from one running car to my truck. And it only lasted two years. When I put this engine in I dont want to do it again for a while.

Thanks for the help.
Lon
I just wanted to comment on the use of diesel engine oil. It is what I would use for break in and from here on out and here's why. Engine oil manufactures have been lowering the level of zinc in engine oil to meet the requirements of the auto makers. Zinc is one of the key ingredients for friction reduction and wear. They haven't made those reductions in diesel engine oils. Most diesel engine oils are in 15w40 rating. This is the only oil that has ever been run in our fleet of trucks. I have 6 2000 model savanna vans with the 4.3l vortec v-6. They have over 300,000 miles each and a couple of them with over 350,000 miles. They have had the oil changed in them every 5000 miles. They don't use any oil. They have some small damp spots around the oil pan and front seal but nothing you would really call a leak.They are driven between 200 and 300 miles everyday. I have a total of 74 trucks in the fleet, consisting of cummins diesels, ford e250's,dodge sprinters and the savanna's. That's just my .02. Brian