Need advice on lift purchase - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 05:42 PM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot
I care less what you buy, I posted my response to try and answer some question. But that said, I find it very hard to sit back and listen to others that suggest stupid acts like using the lift, 2 or 4-post in a manor that it was never designed for. I would never use a 2-post lift to pull an engine, if your to tight to spend on a engine lift then leave it for some that is way more qualified and reasonable. Also, the commits about installing a lift in a concert floor that is less then the manufacturers suggestion and then bracing the top of the lift to the ceiling, is plain stupidity at it's highest level.

What you do is your business, until it becomes so crazy that it can effect others unaware of your exploits. It your going to buy anything, install it as it should be installed. You guy's are so far out there I have to wonder how you got this far in life, I only hope it didn't include killing or Manning anyone else. I can't imagine using my lift on a normal 4" floor. Sorry this is just to extreme for me. I might have gone overboard when we built the shop, buy digging out that area, in a large 8 foot square area and making it 18" thick. BUT, I don't have to worry about killing anyone either. What difference does the quality of lift you buy, when you install it wrong.

I usually don't get up-set at the many idiot that tend to hang around some sites like this, but you are simply putting out very dangerous information, to those two simple to read there instructions. Do a search, there are plenty of home lifts that fail, and the number one reason is just as you may think, improper installations. A long time ago, I had the great pleasure is trying to save a young man that was pinned under a car. He was exceedingly stupid and never educated himself or maybe didn't care, about how to properly use jack stands and work underneath a car. Yes, there was nothing I could do for him, except watch as the weight of the car, slowly crushed him to death. The really sad part wa the horrified look in the face of the man' son and wife. I will never forget that day or the horrible sounds he made while he passed from this life to what lies beyond. I'm sure that kid will be marred for life.
From a stability point of view it should be easy to see that a two post lift fixed properly bottom AND top is far more stable than one fixed bottom only no matter how thick the concrete. I couldn't help noticing you wrote how you had the "great pleasure" in trying to save a guy then watching him die!!

Have a few beers before writing that post did you?

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You can twist it around how you won't . Who was there? The guy parked his car cross-ways on a little dirt drive-way. i suppose to gain access to the middle, but the sides couldn't have been more then a few inches higher then the road. My best friend and i had just arrived at a crash scene, and the call came in about a trapped individual. The crash was nothing special and we immediately turned around at went to the secen. It took maybe 4-5 minuets to get there. When we pulled up, the guy was traped under the car, the oil pan was crushing his jaw/throat area, the exhaust system was poking a hole in his chest and the front left spindle, rotor assy was squashing his lower stomach/grown area. The guy had been trapped for some 6-7 minuets by this time. When we got there the neighbor, a very large fellow was tiring to help hold the car up off the guy, and so was his wife. The guy jacked the car up and removed the wheel to work on something in the middle, but he put the jack on the hill side (rise) and the car rolled back a bit and the jack fell over, and was wedged in the mess. We were only there 20 seconds and the guy dies, there was nothing they could do, then had a log, they were tring to life with, but it didn't do anything. We were just in a truck, and ambulance and rescue truck were some 2-3 minuets behind us. What can you do? They had nothing and nether did we, the neighbor has there but that was it. Of-coarse they got him out when the rescue truck showed but that was really way to late and there wasn't anything that was going to bring him back. He was very badly crushed. This was years ago when I was stupid and thought I could save the world and help my fellow man by volunteering on the local Fire company. Sorry my story wasn't all fact filled from the start, but i didn't plan on bring up those memories in such detail, happy.

My point is there is nothing in the ceiling area, to attach a lift to that would do any good. Wake-up...The lift is designed to gain all the support it needs from the base plate. that an the recommended use of properly sized hardware, all of which has to be used in the recommended concrete. This is my last post here, I think an average man of average intelligence should be able to read these post and determine what is right and what is not.. Lets hope your at-least average

Also, I didn't see the lame post about proving anything to you.....I don't have to prove anything to you, I just started transferring some of my pictures over to this site. If you would have the sense to look in my bio area, you would see the link to my site that also has a very extensive work-up of my two latest projects. One is a very high dollar 1933 Ford sedan, and the other a fun little project where we take a Flathead Ford and twin turbo-charge it and add some modern EFI, great project, and fun to work on. That shop you see, is in fact my new shop, and yes I just spent well over $200,000 on the building and the main equipment, and then rolled in another $400K in extra's, sorry you missed it.

Any other questions??

Oh, the Automotive Expert....No not an expert, I do build a lot of things, race cars and Hot Rods, but I've never been an expert. We do custom heads, and Build new Ford engines?? does that make me an expert?? I hope not, cause I was hoping to learn much more...

Last edited by yknot; 11-21-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Since there seems to be a fellow here who just lwants to squabble and be disrespectful of others I am closing the thread to further posting..

Sam the Moderator Guy...

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.