need advice to move 56 chevy rear springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2003, 02:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post need advice to move 56 chevy rear springs

I'm thinking about moving the rear leaf springs so I can run 10" rims. I see kits advertised that recess the springs into the frame. Those kits drop the rear of the car 2"-3". I would prefer keeping the stock height and lowering later with blocks. Are there any alternate methods to relocate the springs? Do I want to upgrade to a 12 bolt rear at the same time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like everyone else, I have lots of time, but always short on cash...

Thanks for your help,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2003, 10:18 PM

What's up fellow Tri-fiver. I relocated my rear leafs to the inside of the frame using the stock hangers. Welded the left hangers front and back to the inside right frame rail and vice versa.(also I used lowering blocks and springs flipped over the shackles). Then I bought new JC whitney springs for $89(at the time), and relocated the spring perches on the axle. The only down side is that you'll have to have the body off of the frame to do this. I considered a spring pocket kit myself but it limits the amount you can lower the car if that's what your into.
gooduck.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:07 AM

Last photo:

I did this to my 55 also. I made spring pockets and put the springs into the frame rails at the front and notched the bottom of the frame rails at the rear where the springs hang. made brackets above the rear frame rails to hang the springs. Made my own shackles. It did sit a little higher than I wanted so I added 2 inch lowering blocks Now it sits perfect. Also I used an S-10 pick up rear. The width worked out great. I have 15 X 10 rally wheels with 295/50/15 tires all inside the fender. Of course I widened the inner wheel wells too. Good luck
Old 04-23-2003, 05:58 PM

jc55,

I like your spring solution! The car body is already off the frame, so that would be easy for me to do. Are there any handling or suspension problems with the springs being closer to the center of the car? I'm just beginning a frame-off so I'm taking advantage of this forum for all of your expert advice.

Thanks for your help,

Steve
Old 04-24-2003, 01:19 AM

Steve,
you want expert advice on trifives? go to <a href="http://www.chevytalk.com" target="_blank">www.chevytalk.com</a> it'll blow you away. As for handling, I haven't driven it in 3 years since it's a ground up project but hopefully this summer! There are no adverse handling affects that I've heard of and everyone seems to be doing it. (I'm running a shortened 9" with 15X10's TT II's and p295's also)
On the back spring perches you can grind the heads off and center punch the rivets through to remove them. I then welded and drilled/bolted them in their new location. as for the fronts, be careful when grinding the welds not to go too far into the frame.
Also if you have an aftermarket shock crossmember, moving the lower shock points inward will change the shock angle and they will not bolt in the upper location. I'll send you a pic of what I did.

Good luck!
Jim
Old 04-24-2003, 04:08 AM

Last photo:

one other thing to watch when moving the springs all the way to the inside rather than underneath is the gas tank. If I'm not mistaken you will have to move the gas tank over as it doesn't sit in the center of the car, the spare tire well might be in the way of moving the tank too. I took the spare tire well out because the shackle hit it. But I left the gas tank in the stock location. Hope this helps

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.