Hot Rod Forum banner

Need advice on my Singer 111w155

18K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Guys,
I purchases the above Singer walking foot mach. Worked perfect tell i ran out of bobbin thread. After Rewinding bobbin it won't sew. I hand wind mach to start,, then use the foot pedel. i just get thread on top for an inch or so tell it catchs the bobbin thread again [at this point i can c the white bobbin thread coming through on top. I use black on top &white thread for the bobbin]
It just catches maybe once every inch or so.
I've played with the top thread tension adjustment but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
I don't know how to adjust the tension on the bobbin. There are two very small screws on the bobbin case. Both are as tight as they can be.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance. Jim

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like you are putting the bobbin in wrong. The thread comes off the bobbin from right to left so that with a few inches of thread pulled off the bobbin it looks like a letter P. You also need to make sure the bobbin thread is under the tension spring on the bobbin case.

Attachments

Reactions: 61unibody
#3 ·
The bobbin tension is adjusted by loosening or tightening the screw on the left. (There is no screw in the hole on the left in this picture.) The rear screw just helps hold the bobbin case tension spring on the bobbin case.

Attachments

#4 ·
Singer 111W155

Dan, thank you for the pic of the bobbin case. After work today I played with the machine and turned the direction of the thread leaving the bobbin around. now it exits the bobbin clostest to the front of the machine, counter clock wise. Before I had it leaving the bobbin at the back side of the machine in a clock wise direction. It worked great again. I'm a little unsure of how to pickup the bobbin thread the propper way. I struggle with that but will continue to practice tell I figure it out and get it right. Thanks again for your reply. Jim, "on the bank of one lake, Ontario"

#5 ·
O.K. To pick up the bobbin thread correctly, you must first raise the foot either with the knee lift or the lever on the back of the machine. With the cover over the bobbin open, thread your bobbin and leave about 6" of thread to the rear of the machine. Turn the hand wheel so that the eye of the needle is below the hole in the foot. Pull the top thread out the right side of the needle and hold it down at the front of the sewing machine's table. Turn the hand wheel toward you while still holding the top thread down, and the hook will pick up the bobbin thread. Pull the bobbin thread out to the edge of the table, cut off both pieces of thread so they're both about 6" long and then push them to the back left behind the needle. I will post some pictures later, I have to leave right now.

To start sewing, you need to hold both pieces of thread and turn the hand wheel toward the front so that the needle penetrates the work. At that point you can sew all you want. You can also just hold both pieces of thread and push the foot pedal. The first method is the correct way, the second way works fine too, but not as well as the first method.

#11 ·
If the needle thread tension is too tight, or the bobbin thread tension is too loose, the needle thread will lay flat on top of the fabric. You have to make sure the bobbin thread is under the spring tension on the side of the bobbin case. You can adjust the bobbin tension by tightening the screw that holds the middle of the bobbin tension spring on to the bobbin case.

#13 · (Edited)
99% of the time, an industrial machine doesn't work properly as a result of an improper setting, or improper threading of the machine. These machines are basically bullet proof. If the needle thread on the machine is threaded wrong, it can screw up the upper tension and cause the problem you are having. Is the thread going through the needle's eye from left to right? Are you SURE that the needle is installed correctly? The groove on the side of the needle should face left. My sewing machine repair guy told me that is the number one thing people do wrong, including me, and I've been changing needles for over 40 years. Are you SURE you have the machine threaded correctly, including installing the bobbin thread correctly? Can you take pictures of how the threading looks? Here are pictures of how it should look.

How old is this machine? If it was mine, I'd invest in a new bobbin case. They are under $25.00 and have free shipping. New Consew 225 226 Juki 562 Singer 111 Bobbin Case RH67 248460 | eBay This gets you a complete new bobbin tension along with the bobbin case. It is also one of the few things the average person can replace by themselves without problems.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.