Need advice on a paint job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need advice on a paint job

Hello I am a troubled lady trying to understand paint jobs.....I have a 95 Camry in need of a good paint job....I have two guys that have agreed to paint my car both have agreed to paint the car for the the same price ($500)...I am interested in a good paint job that will possible last another 3-5 years....nothing spectacular but a quality job. I don't have any dents or damage to the car, only the truck and hood will need to be primed, as they have some oxidation. I want a high gloss shine and both of them come highly recommened by other clients....My dilemna is the type of paint they use...one claims to use a polyurethane paint and says that it will shine and that I will not need a clear coat on top, he claims clear coats will peel in the end, anyway......While the other claims to use Omni 2000 paint with a clear coat on top of and he guarantees to match the paint...He says he will use a clear coat on top to make it shine......My question is, What is the best kind of paint to ask this person to purchase for a quality paint job for the money?.....He states he would probably like to spend about $150-$200 on the paint and $300 on the labor.....What type of paint would be suffiecient for what I would want.....I want the car to shine the best it can and also how many coats of clear should I ask him to paint on top? What is the best paint for my money if I am paying him $500?...I only want to keep the car for about 3 or more years and anything will look better that it looks now.......

Advertisement

Last edited by tishmomo; 07-06-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Last photo:

First off, it sounds like you need to talk to some more painters about getting your car painted. $500 and a decent paint job are pretty much a contradiction. One can easily spend way more than $500 on materials alone. The painter that told you clearcoat will eventually peel is a complete moron IMO. A properly prepped and applied basecoat/clearcoat is one of the most durable finishes that can be applied. Seek more advice and you will find out pretty quickly that a $500 paint job is just that, .........a $500 paint job .

Vince
Old 07-06-2005, 07:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Since you are looking for a decent paint job that will last 3-5 years I strongly suggest you go with the base coat clear coat system. There's a reason that 99% of new cars come with BC/CC paint from the factory and it's not because it's easier to apply.

A $500 paint job will definitely not be show quality but should be on par with what Maaco puts out. You can easily spend $2000 on quality materials if you're not careful but since you only want a "decent" job, the Omni BC/CC system should easily last long enough to suit you and will probably out shine the single stage paint.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, the omni line is a cheaper line of base/clear and it will last the 3-5 years that you are looking for. Materials, I don't see how they will make that price, at least around here. The cheapest colors of basecoat in omni run around $20 a quart, and at the very least will take 2 quarts. Coverage with omni isn't the greatest so maybe more. Some colors like red with more expensive pigments are much more. So at a minimum thats 40 for base, cheaper clears are $100 for a gallon, then you have reducer for the base, $20. Then you said things have to be primed, figure around $30 a quart for primer. So thats at the very least at the top of your budget price. Then you got to figure for sandpaper, wax and grease remover, tape and masking paper and all the other little stuff that adds up. Then if there is dirt specks which usually get some of even in the best booths, that means buffing supplys. From what both your painters told you it kind of scares me. I would stay the hell away from the guy telling you the paint will peel after awhile anyways. And the other guy I don't know how he will meet that for a material price, and then he says he guarentees it will match. Well if it is a complete paint job, match isn't too much of a concern because the whole car is being painted, only difference you should tell would be if the doors were open or something and the jambs were a little different color. But a budget line like omni has fewer mixing colors so they are not always a great match when you are only painting part of the car and blending the paint.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

$500

I just paid $400 for the paint product and supplies alone for a chassis....I would question a good paint job for $500. A very ordinary paint job should runt about $1,500-$2,000. And you don't start getting into to quality paint jobs until you hit $4,000.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

$500

Im sure glad i dont live where some of you do. Yes you can get a very good paint job for $500.00. You just have to look around and know some real decent people that are willing to help a guy out. Around this area we are all friends, and it easy for us to have some darn good painters do it for us at the price we can afford. Some of these cars are very sweet sreetrods, and are driven to shows. And they did not spend $4000.00, or $5000.00 for there paint job. Find someone you can trust, and dont always think that it cost high dollors to get something done. But yes if you are talking about show quality for a $30,000.00 car then by all means you will have to put out the high money. Im just saying that not all wonderfull paint jobs have to cost you.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

I too would recomend the clear coat repair.
here's why, More than likely it's the clear that is failing now and only on the horizontal surfaces of a dark colored car ie, trunk,roof and little on the hood top of the doors. It's not just your Camery...they all do this. The best move on these is to sand the failing clear and recoat with the same color -base and re-clear. this way you'll only need 2 quarts of color for everything since most of the project is a blend.

Can we ask what color is the car?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:36 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Opps no offense!

Did not mean to offend. I was just speaking from experience...Yes I'm sure it helps to have friends that can paint....I just don't....Happy rodding!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeford
Did not mean to offend. I was just speaking from experience...
I wouldn't worry about offending anyone, you just told the truth. Let's face it, a $500 job would plain suck. What would a person expect for that amount of $$$? Run it through a car wash, spray the car and then give the customer a handfull of razor blades to clean the windshield to drive home. Come on people , lets get realistic.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

Need advice on a paint job

Just find what you are willing to pay, and then check around.This is why i hate the big city prices. To many people are getting takin when it comes to painting there cars, so make sure you know the person painting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford paint.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	7845  

Last edited by Mrwood; 11-15-2005 at 05:42 AM. Reason: not worth starting arguments
Old 11-15-2005, 08:04 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Mrwould

Now Nebraska is a pretty fair drive from here...but for $500, your friend may have us old rodders lined up around the block.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 PM

need advice on paint job?! What The?

Missy, Do you realize that all these comments to your questions are factual? There is no way you can get your car painted for $500 (labor and materials included) unless you have some extracurricular activities going on with your painter. There is an old saying that goes; You get what you pay for, and another one that goes; stupidity has its price tag, I've paid my share . Do the arithmetic and get it done right the first time so the poor sap that does it the second time doesn't have to strip it and start over from scratch! Only my opinion
Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

It's a 10 year old toyota for crying out loud...

sand it where it needs it , 2 quarts color , 2 quarts of clear

why does everyone freak out about money?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

this thread was started in july. hopefully she figured out what she was going to do by now.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,152 Posts
I'm with you Milo, it isn't rocket science. As far as the $500 for a paint job, sure it can be done if the painter expects to make NO MONEY. There are people out there who do that, work for nothing. Why? I have my opinions, they like to help people, or they are stupid, one of the two or a little of both.

So, yes you could get it painted for $500, I doubt it would be much more than a $500 paint job, those are simply the odds.

I say sand it and shoot it, done deal.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.