Need advice with panel beating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 01:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need advice with panel beating

I need to make a repair section for my car. Its a hidden piece behind a fender so it won't have to be real pretty. The part is made of unobtainium or usually rusted to non-existence on parts cars. This is for a European 72 Ford Capri. Its the rusted "foot" looking bulge in the picture. This is an example. On my car you would be looking into the passenger's floor compartment right now.

I figure this would be a good opportunity to learn how to beat a panel. I started making a wooden form for it. I have zero experience in beating panels. I have limited tools and its not worth the expense to purchase a bunch of special tools to make this one part.

I've got a set of ball peen hammers in 5 sizes
Cheap body tool set with assorted hammers and dollies
a big sheet of 20 gauge metal

Any tips or how to for someone who doesn't have any fancy tools?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4179  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Make a sandbag and get one of the soft faced mallets...and start beating..use a slapper and dolly to get the wrinkles out...

try looking at www.metalmeet.com for some more info..some of the serious metal beaters live over there so to speak..

OMT
Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frank,
Here's a quick run down of how you could go about it with limited tooling.
Clean the surface as well as possible.
Tape over the hole with duct tape of even better yet, foil tape. Don't add to much tape, as this will flaw the information.
Wax the area heavily with a heavy paste wax, such as Minwax furniture wax or a mold release wax.
Mix up a healthy dose of fiberglass reinforced body filler and make a thick mold of the area you intend to replace. make the mold at least 1/2" thick.
Build a plywood or metal box large enough to hold the mold with about 2" to spare on all sides. The top remails open, of course
Mix up another batch of fiberglass reinforced filler, fill the box about 2/3 full and place the mold in the center of the box.
Make sure there is a couple inches of the filler underneath the working surface of the mold. When it cures, you're ready to hammer the sheetmetal down into the mold. the hammer is now the male die and the mold is the female die. You should be able to beat out a perfect match to the original this way, with the tools you have available. Many light blows is the way to go, not beating the poor thing to death!!

Randy Ferguson

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.