Need Advice On Piping In New Compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Advice On Piping In New Compressor

Hey guys,

I finally did it and got my 80 gallon 2 stage compressor. I'm very excited. Anyway I need help on the proper way to pipe it in. It is in the corner of my garage and I have a run of about 15-20 feet down the wall without obstructions.

I figured to run 2 drops with 2 filters at each location(one in the middle and one at the end).

How do I route the pipe for the proper drainage? Back to the compressor or away from the compressor?

What type of pipe is the best to use heavy copper (sweating it together) or the black steel pipe.

What is the proper size piping? I think 1", is that correct?

Can I get a short flex hose to run from the side of the compressor to the hard piping for vibrations sake?

Am I on the right track or off base. Any and all of your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also what type of air tools do you recommend for bodywork. More specifically a DA and block sander or anything else.

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 08:12 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Hi Dave!
Congrats on the new compressor! There are numberous posts on piping in this forum. You might want to do a quick search. There's a post showing a schematic as well.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 AM

Your track seems to be pretty good. Sharpe used to have the piping layout, and if you do search, I believe it's been posted here before. If not I believe the website is www.sharpe1.com. I personally use 3/4" copper. No rust, and sweating will give you good practice for when you have to do some plumbing in the future. A lot of people use black pipe & galvanized, but I get concerned about rust & scale. (personal preferences?) If you do a search on piping, any of the 3 above are acceptable, but don't use pvc. Many have used without a problem for many years, but it does make sense that if someone hits the pvc under pressure you could have shards of plastic all through your shop. As far as the piping leaning towards or away from the tank, I've seen diagrams both ways. Some say to drain the moisture back to the tank, others say push the moisture to the the ball valves at the drops. I feel that having the moisture drain back to the tank makes more sense. It never gets to the hose connection, you'll be better off. Make sure that you put ball valves at the bottom of your drops for drainage just in case. And the recommendation is to put the first drop as far away as possible, with 35'-50' being optimal. The flex hose from the compressor to the hard line is recommended also. I got mine from grainger, but there are other places to get them cheaper. I also connected mine with a union, so I could take the compressor off the line without unsweating joints. Mount your compressor on vibration pads or something similar. (not a pallet!) Also, some set up the drops for specific use. One drop has an oiler for using air tools, the other has the coalescing (sp?) filter for spraying. As far as tools go, search the internet and order some catalogues. Tool mart is one of my favorites.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

PVC
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You got some good advice

I have always used black iron myself..but then it may have been because of a code requirement..

Be sure to put in plenty of drops for tools..they can be capped for now till you get the correct air/water seperators or in line oilers..

I put two drops in a paint booth so the painter can just switch sides with his gun and does not take the chance of dragging a hose over fresh paint..

Put one by the garage door and one over or near the workbench..and one convenient to each work bay..

1/2" black iron is suffiecient for small shops..we use the larger stuff when we are doing a large shop with lots of guys using air all at the same time..

OMT
Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Maybe I should start another post or perhaps it's already been answered, but where does line size come into play for pressure loss? I used 1/2 in line on my old shop, also had 3/8 hose . Pressure from the 3/8 seemed to run my grinder, d.a., etc. more efficiently. 3/8 hose was 25 footer, plastic pvc plus 1/2 inch hose was about 35 feet total. I was thinking in terms of running water through a half inch hose, then run through a fire hose. The pressure would be significantly less. Thoughts? Dan
Old 04-10-2005, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

This site has some good layout ideas. http://www.tptools.com/statictext/ai...ng-diagram.pdf
Old 04-16-2005, 10:50 PM

Last journal entry: Feb. 03, 2006 - Bed repair 05
Last photo:

Also check out the following link for some good info:

http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.