Need advice on replacing rear subframe rails. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 10:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need advice on replacing rear subframe rails.

I hope this is OK...I originally posted this question in 'General Tech' but didn't receive and responses so please take a look and see if you have any advice for me...any help will be greatly appreciated to fix my problem.

I am a newbie here and have searched all over the Hotrodders bulletin board and everywhere else I can find on the net to find help on replacing the rear frame rails on my 71' Camaro with no luck. Has Anyone had to do this? The frame rails themselves are very rusted through and some of the sheet-metal underneath but the floor-pans inside are good. I bought the car from a guy that told me the frame rails needed to be replaced and even gave me the rails that run from the back lief spring connections to where the rail turns down (kinda like an L shape) but the part that is rusted out the worst is the part that connects to the rails I have and turns toward the front of the car. I can't find those pieces anywhere. Please offer any help any of you may have for me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2003, 07:41 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

First of all, the easiest way to get a good response is to post to the right board. As the parts that you are trying to get inofrmation on are actually body parts, not suspension, steering or brakes, this isn't the best board to ask that question.

On your question. The car you are working on is uni-body. That means that it doesn't have a separate frame and body. Any work you do on the "frame" pieces of that body have a dramatic effect on the safety and stability of that vehicle. Unless you have knowledge and experience, you need to find someone that does to help you. An improper repair can, at best, damage the car, at worst, kill people.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:42 PM

Thanks adtkart, as I stated in my post I had first posted my question in the General Tech forum but didn't get any responses so I E-mailed one of the moderators to ask which forum would be best to post my question, but I got no response. Seeing as the leaf springs (which are part of the SUSPENSION) connect to the frame rails I thought I would try this forum.

I would have thought that as the "Body"forum states:
"Body - Exterior
This forum covers all paint, body, and exterior questions."

I thought this forum would be referring to the exterior panels of the car and replacing or repairing those parts and painting them......So with that all said I do realize that is a Uni-body, I do know it is a BIG safety issue and that is why I asked for ADVICE on how other people have fixed them. My father owns a 49' Ford coupe which he replaced the whole front clip and he knows what he is doing...we just though this would be a good place to get some opinions on ways other people had fixed this problem but maybe we were wrong.......sorry to waste you guys time.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:57 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There is a big difference between replacing a front clip on a car with a full frame and frame rails on a unibody. You are going to need to remove the original pieces where they are spot welded and weld in the new ones. This has to be done with the vehicle braced and supported in the right position. It is a case where the pieces need to be "plug" welded in place with the right number of quality welds, in the right places, on relatively thin metal. Installing a subframe onto another frame is childs play as far as the welding ability needed compared to what you want to do.

In my opinion, it is a case that, if you need to ask how it should be done, you should have someone there that has experience doing it, there helping you.

If it is done properly, and safely, the car can be a joy for you. If not done properly, it can be a danger for all in the area when you are driving.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:08 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

http://ok-speed.com/sfc/sfc1.htm

here are some plans i referred you to in the other post

please be advised that art rasmussen has passed on, so his co./website might not be around to answer any questions.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:26 PM

Yeah I tried that already ...I would have loved to have talked to him....but I think you have put me on the right track thanks for the help I will post how and what I decide to do later.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:36 PM

FYI..I have found a subframe kit from Alston racing that will replace the frame rails from the very rear leaf spring connection on up to the front it also allows you to tie into the front sub-frame clip......will let ya know how it works out

Thanks for all the help guys!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.