need advice on setting up a tunnelram, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2003, 10:03 AM

Last journal entry: nova
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need advice on setting up a tunnelram,

I know running a tunnelram on the street will require alot of tunning,but i have my mind set on it. I have read alot of answers to question that guys have asked on here and i know this is the place to ask ...I have a 350 sb, im going to run sportsmanII heads,( I know some of ya'll dont like theses heads but im planning to take them to the machineshop to get checkout after i get them) and im going to run a hyd roller cam.( whats a good lift should i use ) the tunnel ram rpm is 2800-8000. should i run 1.5 or 1.6 rockers on my heads. I was going with a mallory dist,but i have read on here that they burn out easy so im going with a msd.. my pistons are flat top with 4 eyes on them..im not sure what my comp will be ,but can anybody guess at it?? I believe my converter is 2800-3000 stall is that good enoufe.????
its going in a 72nova. im going with 373 gears. any help would be great. thanks robbie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 10:17 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Hello Robbie.
I cant give ya the exact carb settings for tunning, but I think to some degree you can run a tunnel ram on the street, but it will require some extra effort.
As far as your pistons go with the 4 valve reliefs and your Sportsman heads, you will have around 9.7 to 1 comp if the heads are 64cc heads. If they are the 76 or 72 cc heads, it will bring your comp down to around 9 to 1 or 8.7 to 1nwhich is a little low for a tunnel ram setup in my book.
As far as Cams go. Try to match the cam up with the rest of the setup and rpm range.
For Distributors Id run a good Ready to use MSD or an MSD with a box.
Gearing for your car is OK since the Novas are fairly light, but Id say you would wake up the tunnel ram with a little deeper gear, but its all in how ya drive it. You can always change em later if you dont like em.
Enuff from me, Anyone else? HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 12-06-2003, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

my heads are 64cc thanks robbie
Old 12-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Sportsman IIs are good heads. Before you put them on you should unshroud the valves. You will notice if you look at them that the valves are extremely shrouded on these heads. The quench area hangs way out over the valve like an umbrella. That isn't good. I took a Dremel bit and ground them back to the head gasket ring. You could use a die grinder to do it also. Just make sure you don't take it past the gasket. You want at least 1/8" clearance around the sides of the valves. More is better but your bore size is the limitation.

Run 1.6 rockers. I saw on the Sportsman II specs that you may need to clearance the pushrod slots to do use 1.6s. Mine were not even close to needing clearancing. Maybe differerent year Sportsman IIs might need it. If you have to clearance them it is easy. There is a Lewis tool that will do it, or you could just use a grinder.

Run as much lift as you can without running too much duration. I can estimate how much duration you need if you figure out your actual compression. Search for "Keith Black compression calculator". If you know your engine specs you can find out what it is.

Mallory distributors don't burn up unless you hook them up wrong. From what I have heard the machining tolerances are better than the equivalent MSD distributors are also.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by lluciano77
Sportsman IIs are good heads. Before you put them on you should unshroud the valves. You will notice if you look at them that the valves are extremely shrouded on these heads. The quench area hangs way out over the valve like an umbrella. That isn't good. I took a Dremel bit and ground them back to the head gasket ring. You could use a die grinder to do it also. Just make sure you don't take it past the gasket. You want at least 1/8" clearance around the sides of the valves. More is better but your bore size is the limitation.

Run 1.6 rockers. I saw on the Sportsman II specs that you may need to clearance the pushrod slots to do use 1.6s. Mine were not even close to needing clearancing. Maybe differerent year Sportsman IIs might need it. If you have to clearance them it is easy. There is a Lewis tool that will do it, or you could just use a grinder.

Run as much lift as you can without running too much duration. I can estimate how much duration you need if you figure out your actual compression. Search for "Keith Black compression calculator". If you know your engine specs you can find out what it is.

Mallory distributors don't burn up unless you hook them up wrong. From what I have heard the machining tolerances are better than the equivalent MSD distributors are also.
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT INSIDE THE BOWL AREA WHEN YOU TAKE THE VAULE OUT ??? thanks for all the advice robbie
Old 12-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

No, I am talking about the walls of the combustion chamber.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm

Look just about at the bottom of this page it talks about unshrouding exhaust valves. You want to unshroud the exhaust and the intake.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.