Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need advice from a structural engineer: makeshift garage
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Mr. Excessive

Wiki Edits: 0

I was told a few days ago that Pep boys had a 10'x20' tent/carport, with end flaps, for around $200. I gotta get over there to see if it's fer real.

If you go with the canvas tent, you could always 'floor' it with trenchplate. A solid, smooth surface with a certain 'stick-to-it-tiveness' at ground level ('cause it's real heavy), and tough enough to withstand an engine on a hoist.

They come up to 12'x20', you'll only need to put the plate where you'll need to do work on it, and it'd be nice and cool for workin' under the car in the summertime's heat.

I guess you could make a partial (or full depending on your budget) wood floor using 1 1/8" flooring and standard framing, with a hard overlay ('cause the wood would disintegrate after rolling a hoist around on it a few times).

Or you could pour cement 'blocks' that can be moved with a hand dolly but can be laid down for your floor....lotsa cracks though...

The garage would be non-permanant and therefore less subject to whatever local codes/builder's permits (fees) etc. Foundations mean permanance, but a trenchplate can be moved within minutes...and the tent can be dropped within a weekend.

You'll just need the help of a few friends. People do weird things for the promise of beer, flame charred meat, and a bizarre task.

Please be careful though! Save the beer for after the heavy stuff is done!

A rental backhoe or skip loader will move the trenchplate, prep it's new location, and carry the tent around, and will make light of the grunt work. Then let the party start...

But wait, there's more...

Along with all that...

You won't be lookin' at what's left of yer shed...

and car...

and prolly quite a few cans of paint and other assorted, multi-colored, toxic liquids, mixed with...

all yer tools and compressor...

all down yonder at the bottom of the hill...

leakin' toward the stream...

If you do try it, make sure you video every second!!

You'll need the tape to try to win that first prize on World's Funniest Videos to replace whatever you couldn't drag back up the hill and scrape paint and other assorted, multi-colored, toxic liquids offa...

and the fines...

and the lawyer's fees...

Watch out for the competition though!! That cute, baby weirdness video will win every time!!

P.s. And please send me a copy too. Please also include the footage of the cans of paint and other multi-colored, toxic liquids, oozing over the bent and broken pieces of shed and car (close-ups would be extra nice).

Thanks!!