need advice/ tips on installing air bags in a 1952 chevy coupe with stock suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 12:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

need advice/ tips on installing air bags in a 1952 chevy coupe with stock suspension

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help or lead me in the right direction. I recently step nothed and bagged the rear of my 52 chevy coupe, which came out excellent. HOwever, now i'd like to bag the front end but im using the stock suspension because it's been completely rebuilt, new kings pins control arms the whole nine. So i'd rather not do a front clip swap if i dont' have to. Anyway, I plan to install bags in place of the coil springs, but I only have 5 inches that i can work with without having clearance problems. I'm willing to hack off part of the crossmember to make something work. what do you guys think? what can I do. I was thinking maybe i can use a rear leaf style bag in the front with a higher pound rating. I would need to use a bag with a 3/8 npt inlet because im running 3/8 in the rear or does it matter? so I'm looking for an air bag, spring, or cylinder that can work best, it would have to be within 5 inches in collapsed diameter, with a 2600 lbs rating or more and a 3/8 npt inlet if that matters. Can someone help?
Thank you

Sincerely, LALO

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Lalo......
The 49-54 Chevs are tough cars to do in the front if they still have the OEM front suspension. The problem, like you have pointed out, is the amount of room that is available. The coil spring pocket on that car is way small and will require you to open it up substantially in order to clearance the apropriate airspring. The airspring that should be used in the front is an F6957. A longer taper sleeve airspring or rolling lobe airspring will not work because of your suspensions motion ratio and applied weights. Most guys within those years usually will use a new crossmember like the one offered by Fatmans or Progressive.

Tony....
Old 07-29-2004, 12:06 AM

TOny..

Thank you for replying, So your saying I would be able to use the F6957 air bag in the stock suspension by hackin off material to make clearance right? Ok, so i do have that option, how about the crossmembers from fatman and progressive you mentioned, I'm actually thinking about just doing that change, when you say changing out the crossmember, do all the stock suspension components bolt on to the new crossmember, or would i have to do a complete conversation, like say a mustang II. Im trying to use the stock components only because I invested money in rebuilding them, but if I have no choice, ill sell them and go with a upgraded front suspension. Let me now what you think.

thanks,
Lalo
Old 08-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

You should go with a 2500 bag for the front. Alot smaller in diameter...ALOT, After I head out to the garage, I will measure for you to let you know.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 08-01-2004, 03:50 PM

Hey thanks weimer appreciate your help
Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Lalo.

Just to get you up to speed here...... there really is no such airspring as a 2500 or 2600... that has kind of become an industry standard generic label. What most people refer to as a 2500 lb bag is the Firestone 255C series airsprings. Problem with that is that Firestone makes over about 40 different airsprings in that series that will all look somewhat identical but may have different mounting options and more importantly different spring rates. The airspring that I gave you the part number for ( F6957 ) is in the 255C series family.... so generically.. it is the same thing that Weimer is telling you about. The max diamter on that airspring is 6.5".

Weimer... this is in no way a slam on you at all. The terminology you used has basically become an industry standard and all I am here to do is to educate the masses........
Old 03-04-2006, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: 52 belair frame off
Last photo:

52 chevy air bag suspension respons

I just finished bagging my 52 chevy hard top using Fatmans stage 4mustang II suspension. The kit comes complete rotor to rotor and basic instructions to follow along with their support.I had plast moking everything up althought the car is still under constuction I plan to test drive soon.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech
Lalo.

Just to get you up to speed here...... there really is no such airspring as a 2500 or 2600... that has kind of become an industry standard generic label. What most people refer to as a 2500 lb bag is the Firestone 255C series airsprings. Problem with that is that Firestone makes over about 40 different airsprings in that series that will all look somewhat identical but may have different mounting options and more importantly different spring rates. The airspring that I gave you the part number for ( F6957 ) is in the 255C series family.... so generically.. it is the same thing that Weimer is telling you about. The max diamter on that airspring is 6.5".

Weimer... this is in no way a slam on you at all. The terminology you used has basically become an industry standard and all I am here to do is to educate the masses........
That was funny! Good work Tony. I havnt talked to you in awhile. Its Kevin from AAC in Toronto.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.