Need Advice On The Use Of Main And Head Studs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need Advice On The Use Of Main And Head Studs

while putting this new 406 together thats replacing the old one i find myself facing many first time problems and or decisions.i've and these arp studs for a while now and never got a chance to use them on the other motor.this motor is all new and in many ways hopefully better.i guess i won't find out for sure like the other motor,til i fire it up.it overheat from the first time on but after enough money and trial and error i made it work.anyway using studs there must be one way thats better than the other way to go.do i install them hand tight and tork them from there or use permanent loctite.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

What does your stud manufacturer say? Some want hand tight, some want a minor amount of torque on them for a bit of pre-load. By all means use a sealer on the stud threads or you will have an oil pan full of water and a shower on the outside of the block... First time it's fired!!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:37 PM

arp says screw the studs in the block hand tight only and you can use loctite if you prefer but it has to be torqued prior to setting up.and yes use thread sealer.i'm looking for pro's and con's either way.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Studs are always installed bottomed and finger tight, use blue locktite if you ever want to get them out again without a torch.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:02 PM

it just some how seems unnatural that the studs come loose when ever you loosen the nuts.i mocked it up with clay on the piston and after disassembly noticed that some of the studs are loose also.i guess its ok but just seems alittle weird when normally you spend so much time making sure its all tight.maybe i'll use the blue loctite.i sort of thought someone out there must have used them enough to have a view on which way their used not how their used.

it just some how seems unnatural that the studs come loose when ever you loosen the nuts.i mocked it up with clay on the piston and after disassembly noticed that some of the studs are loose also.i guess its ok but just seems alittle weird when normally you spend so much time making sure its all tight.maybe i'll use the blue loctite.i sort of thought someone out there must have used them enough to have a view on which way their used not how their used.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:10 AM

sorry about that.sometimes my computer stutters.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

studs

I personally use the arp tefflon sealer on head studs. You will need to make sure the studs and the holes are totally free from oil. If there is oil on either part the sealer will roll off. I use brakecleen and air to dry the threads. I use a small screwdriver and put some of the sealer in the female thread and also a small amount on the stud. I turn them in hand tight. I also use some moly on the nut and washer. I find that this really reduces the studs from backing out when removing the nuts...

Keith
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Thread locker and sealer, bottomed out, 1/16 turn, Always worked for me. First time it get's hot, it'll stick.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:06 PM

jojnsongrass1
thank you very much ,thats what i was looking for and i believe i'll go that direction.none of the motor stuff is new to me it just that i keep coming up on stuff i've never used or done it that particular way when htere is more that one way to go.i've never used studsbefore but no that they have better clamping force oing to back out like i have had bolts do.i guess there are good reasons not to use light thread locker but it just doesn't seem like the way to go to me .anyway thank you very much i do appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I noticed some of you guys said you use locktight and sealer. How do you use both and not have them mix? I've always just used locktight by it's self whenever I have a bolt/stud in a water jacket and I don't want it to move and never had a problem with leaking.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have used all different combinations with studs.

The REAL problem with torquing the studs is that it increases the chances of cracks forming out of the bolt (stud) holes. 400 small blocks are the pits when it comes to this. I had a special cutter made just to remove the top thread out of the hole to help stop it.

I have used EXACTLY the same procedure as K-Star uses, which is white teflon paste, a small amount in the hole, and a small amount on the stud, clean threads and as tight as I can get them by hand (just like wheel bearing nuts).

All of your machine work should be performed with the studs in place. They will stress the block differently than bolts will, and will affect ring seal if you don't use the studs when you torque plate hone the block.

Save the teflon sealer for final assembly, as the studs will back out when you take the plate off the block.

I have also used Loc-Tite ProLock with good results also., but the water sealing ability is not as good as the teflon. The teflon does not lock the stud however like the loc tite does.

What you do want to avoid is the stud torqing into the block while you are tightning the nut for final assembly. This can create problems, particularly in the cracking of the bolt hole.

Brian
Old 01-18-2005, 12:14 AM

well after simply working with the block mocking it up a couple of times i can plainly see that permanently mounting these studs is not the way to go.having to work around these things is going to be a real pain in the butt.i think leaving them loose is going to be the way to go after all.the info with the studs did say to do the machine work with them mounted but i didn't find that out til it was to late.you think maybe i should stick with the bolts?
Old 01-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

studs

Good catch Brian, I forgot to mention about removing the first thread..........

I agree also that the thread locker seams to have some issues with sealing the water all the time. I do know people that use it with good results but i am not willing to chance it my self...

Keith

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.