Hot Rod Forum banner

Need advise/ which rear end?

712 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  blackie32 
#1 ·
I am putting a '52 M.G. kit car together and I plan to use a stock Chev. 350 engine and trans. My question is will the Pinto rear end from the donor car hold up for normal driving and cruising? I also hove ,79 Mustang 5.0 parts car with a good rear end and I think it's the same size but wider, if the Mustang rear held up to a 5.0 will the same size Pinto rear hold up too?

#4 ·
beach10222 said:
I am putting a '52 M.G. kit car together and I plan to use a stock Chev. 350 engine and trans. My question is will the Pinto rear end from the donor car hold up for normal driving and cruising? I also hove ,79 Mustang 5.0 parts car with a good rear end and I think it's the same size but wider, if the Mustang rear held up to a 5.0 will the same size Pinto rear hold up too?
Any small Ford rear with a pan differential cover will not be adequate.

I suggest a Ford 8" rear (drop out chunk) from a Mustang II, they are the narrowest and probably inexpensive, but it will have 4 bolt wheels. Some had limited-slip Traction Lock differentials.

You might find a V6 Pinto car but they are rare, and usually the Sport Wagon.

2nd would be a Maverick V8 with 5 bolt wheels.
3rd would be Granada V8, all 5 bolt wheels

Any Fox Mustang will be wide, and it will only be a 7.5 inch until about 87 or so when they used the 8.8 (similar to a 12 bolt Chevy).

Next think front brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.