need answer about motor mounts fast!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: canada
Posts: 36
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need answer about motor mounts fast!!!

does anybody know if the the chevy v6 and buick v6 use the same motor mounts? I have a 81 malibu with a chevy v6 and will be putting in a grand national buick 3.8 v6 and need to know if the mounts will work. thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2007, 12:00 PM
xntrik's Avatar
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
call the local parts store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,413
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8s10
does anybody know if the the chevy v6 and buick v6 use the same motor mounts? I have a 81 malibu with a chevy v6 and will be putting in a grand national buick 3.8 v6 and need to know if the mounts will work. thanks..
The mounts are different. In fact, both the rubber mounts and the metal brackets are different between the two motors. You'll need the correct Buick mounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
66GMC's Avatar
Get in, sit down, hang on
 

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olds, Alberta Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 2,761
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 89 Times in 84 Posts
As Joe said, the Chevy 229 uses different mounts than the Buick 231, but 81 Malibu's came with both the 229 and 231 engines ... so are you sure the frame mounts are different too, Joe?

NAPA Online


229 Chevy
NAPA BKP 602-1379 LH




231 Buick engine
NAPA BKP 602-1390 LH


82 Regal (Grand National) as well as 84-87 (There was no GN in 83 according to Wikipedia ) all seem to use the same mount as the Malibu 231.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: canada
Posts: 36
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the help, they are indeed different, picked up the motor mounts but need the frame mounts, napa don't sell them. any idea's where to buy them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:14 AM
1ownerT's Avatar
Home School Valedictorian
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 52
Posts: 1,645
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you sure that the frame mount is different?
I had an 80 Monte that came with a turbo 3.8 Buick, I later changed it for a SBC, I had to move the frame mounts to make it work with the Chevy but they were still the same mount. (holes were already in the cross member, nuts on the back side were a pita to get to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,413
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Are you sure that the frame mount is different?
I had an 80 Monte that came with a turbo 3.8 Buick, I later changed it for a SBC, I had to move the frame mounts to make it work with the Chevy but they were still the same mount. (holes were already in the cross member, nuts on the back side were a pita to get to)
At some point in the 1980s, Chevy went to motor mounts with the rubber on the frame side and simple metal brackets bolted to the block. Buicks are the other way around (rubber on the mount that bolts to the block, metal bracket on the frame). That's what I think is shown in the pictures in a previous post in this thread. Whichever side is which, you'll need the matched set. The metal brackets are non-wear items and are not stocked at parts stores. You'll need to make a wrecking yard run to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
xntrik's Avatar
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
As Joe said, the Chevy 229 uses different mounts than the Buick 231, but 81 Malibu's came with both the 229 and 231 engines ... so are you sure the frame mounts are different too, Joe?



according to Wikipedia ) .

There are numerous errors in wikipedia on many subjects. I'd find more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,413
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
There are numerous errors in wikipedia on many subjects. I'd find more info.
You mean not everything posted on the internet is 100% true? I'm SOOOOO disillusioned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
farna's Avatar
Member
 
Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Age: 52
Posts: 1,624
Wiki Edits: 14

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If you are POSITIVE there is an error in Wikipedia, CHANGE IT!! That's what the "edit" tab is for. you don't have to register to make changes, but if you're going to watch a topic (or several) and make frequent changes you should. Just MAKE SURE you're changing bad info to good -- make SURE you have a reliable source or you have actual hands on experience. Not doing much good to edit heresay with more heresay. And don't trust your memory!

Being an AMC guy I ALWAYS get people telling me wierd things they remember about the AMX/Javelin/Rambler they had years ago, and will swear it's gospel truth even when I have a factory serivce manual in hand and can show them different -- "must be a typo"... though a few will fess up that "it was a long time ago". I generally don't argue with anyone who tries to remember way back though, not unless they're telling some newb who really needs to know the info.

Oh yeah, I'm wrong on occasion too when going from memory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
66GMC's Avatar
Get in, sit down, hang on
 

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olds, Alberta Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 2,761
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 89 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
If you are POSITIVE there is an error in Wikipedia, CHANGE IT!! That's what the "edit" tab is for. you don't have to register to make changes, but if you're going to watch a topic (or several) and make frequent changes you should. Just MAKE SURE you're changing bad info to good -- make SURE you have a reliable source or you have actual hands on experience. Not doing much good to edit heresay with more heresay. And don't trust your memory!

Being an AMC guy I ALWAYS get people telling me wierd things they remember about the AMX/Javelin/Rambler they had years ago, and will swear it's gospel truth even when I have a factory serivce manual in hand and can show them different -- "must be a typo"... though a few will fess up that "it was a long time ago". I generally don't argue with anyone who tries to remember way back though, not unless they're telling some newb who really needs to know the info.

Oh yeah, I'm wrong on occasion too when going from memory!
As the old cliche goes..
"Yeah, I thought I was wrong once, too ... but I was mistaken."

That's good info on the Wiki thing, and a valid point that you should check alternate sources to confirm IMPORTANT facts. (Whether or not they made Buick Regal Grand Nationals in 1983 or not is non life-threatening information, in my opinion. )

I also agree that people should qualify their "I know for a fact" statements with first-hand experience or at least include an "according to:" if they're not 100% sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Basic of Basics" Welding - How do I repair body panels? Centerline Body - Exterior 33 03-31-2014 09:45 AM
GM Fast Burn Heads bigjoedo Engine 4 01-02-2007 10:46 AM
QJet -- What Controls Position of Fast Idle Cam? JohnTN Engine 8 09-17-2005 08:17 PM
fast idle frydz1985 Engine 1 10-19-2004 11:12 AM
a fast formula HELP! chris oswalt Engine 2 09-17-2004 11:22 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.