Hot Rod Forum banner

Need assistance with value of SBC blower motor

761 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
I'm new here to the forum and I have a question about the value of a project engine.

About 20 years ago I set out to build another motor for my 79 Camaro. Life happened since then (kid, work, house, elderly parents...) and the project took a back seat to life. The chassis is gone and I don't think I will have the time for another toy. I am considering selling this in the future.

What I have is a 350 .30 over, 4 Bolt main SBC motor with a Dyers 6V71 supercharger (blower has time on it and is the only item that is not fresh) A pair of Carter AFB carbs, the block is o-ringed, head gaskets are dead soft copper, it has Air Flow Research (Brownfield) heads, a Callies Crank, TRW blower pistons, Edelbrock tall valve covers with removable tops, a Moroso extended capacity oil pan and probably some other goodies that I am forgetting.

Again, everything except the blower is fresh. The motor has not been fired since the rebuild .

I would love to hear what some of you folks might think it is worth. I am completely out of touch with values on today's performance parts. Years ago I managed a speed shop, so my mind is stuck in those times and won't leave. I know the heads cost me about $1200 when I bought them. I believe the crank was just under a grand.

This is not an advertisement to sell. Honestly, I don't really know if I will sell it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

John

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
did you build it or a Pro? do you still have paperwork (receipts???, machine shop specs) can some one hear it run??? and what is your qualifications to perform the work if you built it in your garage, these are the questions I would ask if I was coming to look at it,
I would be apt to pay a good price for a documented in shop build, but would be spectacle to buy a garage build from some one I did not know....
and also used parts are just that regardless of who made them , I think some one would try to low ball you in the end, since you managed a speed shop, I would try to sell it on consignment through a shop that would some what vouch for the engine and work

as far as price , what ever some one is willing to pay,
I see "built" engines on cragilist for sale all the time, but if you look at the some of them it looks like somebody just went crazy with some orange spray paint and some chrome polish

#3 ·
If the engine was never fired then it can be taken apart and verified.expect 50% of parts price if new,some parts may even be obsolete and if valve lash was adjusted then springs. If someone makes an acceptable offer and requires a tear down,then add in and get a tear down cost in advance but be prepared to return the money if inside is badly damaged by rust or w/e? If the engine is what is expected and he does not buy it at least you have costs for reassembly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.