need automotive related engineering help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need automotive related engineering help

I set a land speed one mile track record in N.C. on the Maxton Mile last Oct. driving a 2003 SS Silverado truck. The truck weighs 5340 lbs. and the class record speed was 127 mph. I am going to Ohio in April to run the first ever Ohio Mile, and am having performance work done which will produce 40+or- horse power guranteed on a chassis dyno. My goal is to run 130 mph+ on a track much smoother than Maxton and very slightly down hill. Can anyone calculate approximate additional speed based on hp. increase and considering the truck is an aerodynamic brick. I tape up 80% of the grille area and increase tire pressure to 48lb. and run with a toppo cover.

Any help is appreciated, Garrell Patterson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If the rules allow an air dam on the front and aero skirts on the sides between the front and rear tires should help. Make them from the aluminum flashing material available at the lbr yard and make them removable for normal street use as they should be very close to the ground. Leave the back open from the rear wheels back. Run steel wheels and make the wheel covers from 0.125 aluminum and fasten them with small sheet metal screws about 6 per wheel. Of course you can run ATF in the gearboxes which will work for a mile run. Some of these things may help as every little bit helps in landspeed runs.

Sam
Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 AM

Last photo:

need automative related engineering

Thanks for trying Sam, but I am trying to stay in a production class. I have looked all through the internet looking for a pvc front chin spoiler to attach behind and under the front bumper with no luck. When you move into a modified class the speeds pick up 30 to 50 mph.

Garrell Patterson
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Next place to look would be to post in the electronic engine forum to see if the ECU can be modified to allow more revs and better timeing and such as well as modfying the fuel curve for more power..

Sam
Old 01-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

need automotive engineering help

Sam we are thinking along the same lines. The GM family of LS engines have an enormous amount of hidden horse power within. I was already running with Hypertech Max energy tuneup that anyone can do, but I have chassis dyno time reserved for early March and will have a custom computer designed tuneup installed. I am also having 1.8 to 1 full rollertip aluminum rockers installed along with beehive valve springs and heavy wall pushrods which the latter is for preventative measures. When I set the first landspeed record I was using the Hypertech tuneup, a cold air induction system and flowmaster exhaust, all of which you can run and remain in production class, but no headers, cam change etc. If I could a front air dam/ chin spoiler around 6" deep it would definitely help. It sounds like you are very familar with landspeed type racing versus drag racing.

Any other ideas you can throw at me I would certainly like to hear them
Garrell
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

On your cams have them reground to be right on the spec for what you are running..old production trick as stock cams can be a wee bit off and leave some HP on the table..A bit of milling on the heads to pick up a half or full point on compression can help..Main thing is to be aware of how far you can push the rulebook in landspeed type of racing. check clearances on all the bearings and such..BTW this is how we take a production crate engine that sells for say 3000.00 at the dealer and make it into a 20,000 dollar race motor and stay in the rulebook for production class. Landspeed is about how fast you can afford to go..The chin spoiler may be in the GM parts book if you look hard enough..some GM had those I think..

www.landspeed.com

This is the car I support and all the speed secrets are between someones ears..

Sam
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

You are so right $$$=speed. I spent about two hours last night looking at web sites for a front air dam/chin spoiler, I know that I have seen lots of chevy trucks with spoilers below and behind the bumper. My truck is the SS Silverado and has the deep euro type bumper cover with no chrome but black like the body What do you think about the ekectronic exhaust dumps or cutouts. The dual exhaust system is a Flowmaster exhaust with very low restriction type" series 40" mufflers but the cutouts will be in front of the mufflers and cats. Probably will increase tork more than horse power. I will drag race the truck some when I get back from Ohio, ran it a few times last fall and it left real hard but it is so heavy the et is not so great, 9.4 best in 1/8 mile. I have faster cars but I like this truck and the challenge of making it faster, when I retire from landspeed bracing I will probably install either turbo chargers or a super charger, not sure which right now.

Didn't mean to go so long, Garrell
Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Installing cutouts before the cats and mufflers may help and the simple variety works just fine..I am a show me the numbers kind of guy so it would be interesting to see dyno numbers with the cutouts open and closed..Good luck on the spoiler but one from a similar body style may work for you..We have spent a ton of cash trying things out and then doing something different..Ask me about brakes sometime on the jet car.

Sam
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

need automotive related engineering help

Imay have not mentioned but I have dyno time reserved for first of March when the valve train, cutouts, and hp tuneup are installed. Just your gut feeling how many mph do you think 40 hp will produce, I think I will run two mph more because Maxton was unbelievably rough and you had to scrubb off some speed and Ohio is supposedly smooth as glass and slightly down hill. I don't think that I will have a problem but I can not run over 135 mph if so I won't pass the safety inspection! I may have missed something but you mentioned the jet car, you don't have salt in your shoes do you?

Garrell
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

In SCTA your truck would most likely be in the C/PP class that is production pickup with an engine between 306 and 372.99 cu/in. The record at El Mirage in that class is currently 162.507 MPH so breaking 135 I expect that your truck is capable of. What that does with the rules you are under I have no clue..

Sam
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

The aerodynamic drag is a huge factor here. Anything you can do to seal up the gaps and of course the spoiler you are working on will help. If you can lower the truck any amount it will help. Lots of air in the tires and small tread width. If you can delete the mirrors or at least use smaller ones that will help a bit.

If you search around the net there are some interesting calculators available.

G-tech makes a cool dash mounted gage that takes everything into account and output HP and Torque.
http://www.gtechpro.com/

You could do some local testing with this unit and get an idea of your improvements. The pres of the co called me back when I inquired about this device so I think support would be pretty good from them.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

The East Coast Timing Assoc. rules are the same as SCTA, a lot of the modified and specialty built cars that ran at Maxton and Will be at Bonnevile, ElMarage, Loring etc. You are correct my regulated class is c/pp but at the last ever Maxton Mile I had moved up in class to a/pp and set the track record. Iwas going to run b/pp and then back to class c but we had a 25 mph headwind all of Saturday and turn around time on Sunday was three hours. My intentions are to run in c to b and then a if weather is good and truck runs good. All class records are open, it was decided that all Maxton records would remain forever. There might or might not be any other entries in the three classes so it would be feasible to leave with three track records until other entries are made but they would still have to run faster. Thats why I am spending a little money to get the most speed out of my truck that I can. I am in my second year of recovery from a severe heart attack followed within a few weeks by three strokes, I also have Parkinson's desease and rheumatoid arthritis. I work really hard at therapy exercizes that I Developed myself to limber my muscles and joints up from a year spent in a wheelchair or bed. I am doing great except for pretty severe pain.

I owe my recovery to God, my Wife and my love of cars
Garrell
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

need automotive related engineering

I tape up about 85% of the grille area and run 48 lbs. of air in the tires to reduce the contact patch, what about the cowl/windshield area. Would a quality hood, bug screen move air over the roof and somewhat bypass the windshield? The truck also has oem 20" wheels and I have a tonno cover.
Thanks for thr interest and suggestions
Garrell

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.