Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need cam suggestions for my 383 build
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what cam?

An easy way to go is to just take the cam out of your 355 and stick it in your 383. Seems to me it has about the right duration etc for your engine/ drivetrain setup.
Especially if you like the cam.
Note that due to the 30 cubes larger displacement, that cam will come in at about 200-300 rpm lower than it does in the 355.

Rule of thumb.

Displacement change of 50 cubes + or - will change the operating range of the cam by 400-500 RPM.

A change of 10 degrees duration = or - will change the operating range of the engine by 400-500 RPM. These arent exactly hard fast rules, as there are so many variations in cam grinds, but it is a good basic guideline to work with.

If you like the way that cam works in your 355, I dont see any reason not to drop it in your 383.

Get you an 18 count egg carton, and number the pockets 1-16.
Take out the lifters in order and remember which number goes to what lifter guide.
I always go down one side first starting with the first cylinder, as #1 and so on with 9-16 being the other bank. Keeps confusion down to a minimum.