Need Custom Rotors for a Chevelle....but.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Custom Rotors for a Chevelle....but....

I need a '69-'72 GM A-Body 11" rotors but with 6x5.5" lug pattern. Anyone know where I can get these?

I have a '69 C10 that I bought a disc brake bracket kit for but didn't read the fine print that they require Chevelle rotors. I already have my wheels and do not want to buy another set nor do I want to change my rear to 5 lug either.

Please do not make suggestions like 'get another kit', etc. If you don't have a source for custom rotors, thanks for reading and move on.

Thank you in advance for reading.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I had a Monza some years back and it had 4 lug wheels. I swapped rear ends and it had 5 lugs. So I took the front rotors to a machine shop and had them redrill a 5 lug pattern into the 4 lug rotors. Maybe you could do the same with the Chevelle rotors. An automotive machine shop probably can not do this but most any job shop could. A machine shop were they make parts.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
I need a '69-'72 GM A-Body 11" rotors but with 6x5.5" lug pattern. Anyone know where I can get these?

I have a '69 C10 that I bought a disc brake bracket kit for but didn't read the fine print that they require Chevelle rotors. I already have my wheels and do not want to buy another set nor do I want to change my rear to 5 lug either.

Please do not make suggestions like 'get another kit', etc. If you don't have a source for custom rotors, thanks for reading and move on.

Thank you in advance for reading.
Does this kit use the stock spindles for a C10? If so, I don't know how Chevelle rotors do anything for you. First problem is that your spindle requires an inner bearing with a 1.375" I.D. and an outer bearing with either a 0.750" or a 0.8437" I.D. outer bearing, depending on which suspension you have. The A-body rotors have an inner bearing with a 1.2500" ID. and an outer bearing with a 0.750" I.D. Unless your kit comes with custom bearings, the rotors won't physically fit on the spindles.

Having said that, there are no A-body rotors that I'm aware of with six lugs. Period. Your options would be either having a set redrilled or using composite rotors from a racing supplier like Speedway motors.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

If your front wheels would not end up being too wide,put the chevelle rotors and buy some adapters.Also if you could give us more info like was asked earlier maybe we could help more.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

This is the kit I bought:

http://www.performanceonline.com/sto...e.php?cat=1079
Old 07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
31 five window

Last photo:

Find out the diameter and thickness of the rotors they recommend.Then check the newer Chevy trucks with 6 lugs and see if the dimensions are the same. If so take the drums off of your factory hubs and use the new rotors that slip on the hub with the new calipers and bracket that came in the kit.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
Find out the diameter and thickness of the rotors they recommend.Then check the newer Chevy trucks with 6 lugs and see if the dimensions are the same. If so take the drums off of your factory hubs and use the new rotors that slip on the hub with the new calipers and bracket that came in the kit.
Unfortunately, most new rotors are one-piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
The good news is that it looks like the kit does come with inner bearings.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what part of 1963-70 CHEVY TRUCK, DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT, 5-LUG was not clear. Sorry, but there are no six lug Chevelle-compatible rotors. The six lug rotors are bigger because the truck is heavier than a Chevelle. Frankly, the 10.75" rotors are marginal on a Chevelle. The truck is probably 1,000 lb heavier even when it's empty.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
31 five window

Last photo:

I bought 1 piece rotors for my son in law's truck and machined out the middle to make rear disc brakes on his 65 Chevy truck.I am not sure but with a little research I bet there is at least 1 year were Chevy had removable 6 lug rotors on the front or rear.Somebody out there must have fooled with a newer truck to know the answer.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
I bought 1 piece rotors for my son in law's truck and machined out the middle to make rear disc brakes on his 65 Chevy truck.I am not sure but with a little research I bet there is at least 1 year were Chevy had removable 6 lug rotors on the front or rear.Somebody out there must have fooled with a newer truck to know the answer.
Good idea but the problem is that the brackets in the kit are designed to clear the 10.75" A-body (Chevelle) rotors. The six lug rotors with the 5.5" bolt circle are 12" diameter and won't work with these brackets. You can get existing six lug rotors that fit right on the original spindles. The problem is the brackets. As I said in my last post, I personally think the smaller rotors are undersize for this truck anyway. There's a reason why this kit as advertised as a low-cost kit.

By the time you finish custom machining the ID and the OD of the six lug rotors, you might as well throw away this kit and buy the right one.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
31 five window

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Good idea but the problem is that the brackets in the kit are designed to clear the 10.75" A-body (Chevelle) rotors. The six lug rotors with the 5.5" bolt circle are 12" diameter and won't work with these brackets. You can get existing six lug rotors that fit right on the original spindles. The problem is the brackets. As I said in my last post, I personally think the smaller rotors are undersize for this truck anyway. There's a reason why this kit as advertised as a low-cost kit.

By the time you finish custom machining the ID and the OD of the six lug rotors, you might as well throw away this kit and buy the right one.
I agree,but did not know the dimensions and I do my own machine work.Sorry I can't help but I tried.I think the biggest problem is most people want to go to the 5 lug and he wants to keep the 6.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.