Need Flexplate Help Please - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well I went to go adjust the timing and found out the vacuum advance doesnt work so i put a vacuum pump on the distributor and its leaking, cant host pressure at all. The distributor is still under warranty so once the place sends me a new one ill set that all up and let you guys know how it went...haha seems like 1 thing after the other on this thing

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestore
seems like 1 thing after the other on this thing

Yep that's the way it goes sometimes.
Sounds like your getting it though.

Cole
Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Hey I ordered that new vacuum canister for the distributor but while I was waiting for that I had ANOTHER issue come up. After installing this new trans/converter I hooked up all the wiring correctly for the lockup. Pin A has 12 volts and I think it was pin D that was grounded going up to an ignition source and cutoff with the brakes pressed. My problem is with the old trans when I would turn on the switch I would hear that click from the transmission engaging the lockup solenoid. Im not hearing that with this trans and dont seem to be able to get it to lockup while driving. Ill be going about 65 on the fwy and flip the lockup switch and no rpm change. Any suggestions? As soon as I flip that switch PIN A has voltage so I know its wired properly externally.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM

Last photo:

Possibly the TCC Solenoid or 4th Pressure switch is bad.
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

I figured out that the 4 prong connector on the side of the trans was disconneted to the internal harness. I made a tool to grab it and hold it flush with the trans housing and was able to get it connected without dropping the pan. I hear that click now but havent had a chance to drive it yet, sounds like a good solid click though so im optimistic
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

lockup working good now vacuum canister should be here today or tomorrow. As far as the lockup goes I have it wired to a switch so I just turn it on when im in 4th gear and off when im in the other gears, if I were to just leave it on would it lockup in all gears or no? Would it be bad just to leave it on all the time that im on the freeway even if im not in 4th gear?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE= if I were to just leave it on would it lockup in all gears or no? Would it be bad just to leave it on all the time that im on the freeway even if im not in 4th gear?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how it's wired & how many Pressure switches are installed.
If you only have it wired thru the 4th Pr. switch it will only lockup when in 4th. It wont hurt anything to leave the switch on. The TCC will unlock when the Trans downshifts to a lower gear and when the Brake pedal is depressed if it's wired thru the Brake Light switch.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If you leave the lock up switched on, you probably won't like how it locks up immediately upon shifting into 4th w/o a vacuum switch. The vacuum switch (along w/possibly the vacuum delay check valve) allows you to accelerate w/the TC unlocked until the vacuum levels out, then the lock up engages. It also allows the lock up to disengage when accelerating.

On my TH350C, I tried a variety of vacuum delay check valves before I found one that works right for how I drive and the engine behaves regarding vacuum. If you don't use one of these, you will get an almost immediate lock up- unless the OD tranny you are dealing with has another circuit that does the job of the delay check valve on my TH350C tranny.

A good thread on TCC w/diagrams, etc.- http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ca...c-control.html
Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 PM

I dealt with this problem through three flexplates. Noise caused by cracked flexplate. Finally figured out that the top of the tranny must have been in a fire and gotten very hot, allowing the tranny to drop in the rear causing excessive flex. Solved the problem by bolting the tranny to the bell housing , and before bolting up the flexplate, carefully measured for clearance differences between the flexplate and flywheel. I discovered much greater clearance at the top.
I then loosened the tranny bolts and added shims, retightened, remeasured clearance. I repeated this procedure until the flexplate was evenly spaced all around. Problem solved.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:13 PM

I dealt with this problem through three flexplates. Discovered that the tranny must have been in a fire and softenened the top of the housing allowing the rear of the tranny to droop. I unbolted the flexplate and could see a lot more clearance at the top. It literally had to flex to bolt fully to the flywheel.
Solved the problem by adding shims (washers) to the bottom of the housing until the plate lined up. Problem solved.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.