Need a flexplate for my 383 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need a flexplate for my 383

I recently pulled an engine out of my suburban to drop in my camaro and the flexplate was cracked so now I need to pick up another one but can't seem to find one. Guy I bought the burb from said it was a 383 and it's externally balanced front and rear so I guess it is. It's a 1pc seal engine and I need a flexplate that will bolt up to my th350 converter in my 81 camaro. Any help is appreciated guys thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM

have you tried your dealer?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM

No I have not. I have little trust for someone looking through a parts catalog not knowing what they are doing. Figured somebody here has maybe had to buy a flexplate somewhere along the lines and could tell me what I need
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM

take the old one with you.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Once you find out exactly what you have take a look on ebay. You can find SCAT SFI approved gold irridated flex plates for around $38 - $40. Up to you to match them up.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

I thought they quit making 400s several years before they came out with the one piece rear main seal engines?
The one piece RMS flexplate has a counter weight welded to it to replace the counter-weight cast into the older cranks that was eliminated to make the RMS cranks.
The one piece RMS flexplate has two mounting hole configurations, It should fit most all of the GM convertors in one location or the other if I'm not mistaken.
ssmonty
Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM

I've seen several externally balanced 1pc seal flexplates but my old man is set on thinking this engine needs some special flexplate for some reason. Might just order one and see how she goes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty View Post
It should fit most all of the GM convertors in one location or the other if I'm not mistaken.
I picked one up for a newer model 1pc seal engine for a truck and the converter holes don't line up but maybe that's because it was a stock replacement and not aftermarket
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

"take the old one with you." said vinniekq2

I guess I need to quit posting. I could have sworn that I read Chevy quit making the 400 small block in 1980. I know it used an externally balanced rotating assy that included an offset weight on the flexplate, and an unbalanced dampner.
I was also pretty sure the one piece rear main seal cranks/blocks didn't go into production until about 1985. Same time they started using roller cams in most passenger car engines. I know for a fact that the stock one piece RMS cranks need a flexplate with a counter weight to balance the rotating assy.
You said you "picked one up for a newer model 1pc seal engine for a truck".
What year truck was that. You didn't ask for a flexplate for a 383 did you?
Chevy never put a 383 in a production vehicle. Maybe a test vehicle for the 383 crate engine. Could you have got a flexplate for a Mopar?
"Guy I bought the burb from said it was a 383 and it's externally balanced front and rear so I guess it is". Did he say it had a 400 crank? Unless it was modified for internal balance it should use a counterweighted flexplate as all stock sbc 400s did, but I'm still pretty sure they never made one with a one piece RMS.
Did you ever check to to see if you actually have a dampner for a neutral or externally balanced crank? "I guess it is" may be the problem?
If I'm mistaken in anything I've said I sincerly appologize, and would appreciate very much if someone would correct me or let me know so I don't make the same mistake again.
I'm sorry JohnMatt if I caused you confusion or wasted you time and money.
ssmonty
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM

GM makes a crate 383 small rear seal. its different from the 400,its a 3.8 stroke 350 standard bore
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Virtually ALL the 1-piece seal cranks are externally balanced in the rear (the front is "neutral"), at least the factory and aftermarket cast units. There may be a specific flexplate for the "383", but I don't think so. The thing to do is get another with the weight attached, and have a balance shop "match" the cracked one. That way, there will be no doubt. They MAY have the data stored, and if they spin the cracked one first, they could find it IS "stock" or something readily available.

Some of the better "forged" units (1-piece seal, 3 3/4" stroke) are internally balanced. The cracked flexplate will show that, too. If there's no weight welded to it, or a series of holes on one side and not the other, it's "neutral" or "internally balanced". Again, a balance shop can pinpoint it.

Jim
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM

I found the flexplate I was looking for but no stores in my area carry it so I have to wait for it to come in. Thanks guys

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.