Hot Rod Forum banner

Need front end advise

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a '34 Reo Coupe that I'm converting into a Restorod. I've put a 350 stroker in it with an automatic trans and new rear axle. My question is about the front end steering/axle/brakes. The original is too sloppy, it steers like a tractor with lots of play and I'm afraid the drum brakes won't be sufficient to stop the car now. Any suggestions on what to replace it with? I can send off some dimensions if needed.

Thanks,

Al

#3 ·
front end

have u looked in speedway's cat ??? as far as the drum on front go.. get rid of them.. thats just me, i hate them on st rods. one of the first things i tossed when i did my 2 T's. it just might be worth getting a whole new drop front axle with brakes and tie rods.. u'd be in the area of $1500-2000, not chromed. i used super bell with mid size gm disc and loved them..

#6 ·
Thanks. It's an I-beam that curves up at the ends to align with the wheels. I believe standard for the era. Has leaf springs. Can you give me some advice on how to post pictures? Am new to this. Using an iPad with pictures stored in same.

#8 ·
I'm not too familiar with an iPad, but the best way to post here is via a Photobucket account.

photobucket.com

Using this will put your photos full size here rather then a bunch of thumbnails that have to be opened one at a time.

As far as your front suspension, probably adapting some version of a Ford straight axle would work best with easily found parts including a disc brake arrangement. If you are worried that it wouldn't have enough 'drop', these are available in up to at least 5" though 3-4 inches should be fine. Speedway is possibly one of the better suppliers currently, just be careful of Ebay as some of these parts are unsafe and from an unknown maker: Plain 1928-34 Ford 4 Inch Dropped I-Beam Axle, 46 Inches - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

#12 ·
Click to open a photo, then on the right side you will see IMG. Click on it and you will see 'Copied'. When you see that, come back to Hotrodders and click 'Paste' on your current response. It will show as a link and that's actually what's pasted here. To check what you entered, do a 'Preview' and if you like what you see, hit Submit. Photobucket takes some getting used to, especially after they changed it a while back as it isn't completely 'idiot proof' (which computerwise I can identify with:pain:). If you delete, change or move the picture in Photobucket, it will disappear from here. Also, I suggest that you make your albums 'Private' - you really don't want to show personal photos to the world.

If you are still confused - just play around with settings on that site or PM me and maybe we can figure out the problem.

Dave W

#10 ·
Like the gentleman mentioned above, a Pete & Jakes painted axle with either wishbone or split link is ~ $1,200 + spindle & brake kit ~ $600 will do the trick. Speedway, Honest Charley, So Cal Speed. Prices ~ the same! Check, some offer reduced or freight promos.

#13 ·
Ok. First, thanks. I contacted PeteandJakes and they gave me the contact info for their guy in our area, which I haven't mentioned is England (which was going to eventually make it difficult, but not now). Re the photo, I managed to copy an image to a clipboard but on this screen that I'm writing on, there is no "paste" wording or as far as I can't no icon either. Must be the iPad formatting keeping it from me. I'll send you over some photos if you can or are allow to give me your email address. Either way, great responses and we can not get the ball rolling on finishing up this project. Have never heard of a Reo being rodded before. Before I moved here, there were no Reo cars of any kind in England!

#14 ·
I'll send you over some photos if you can or are allow to give me your email address. Either way, great responses and we can not get the ball rolling on finishing up this project. Have never heard of a Reo being rodded before. Before I moved here, there were no Reo cars of any kind in England!
See the PM for the email address.

I figured you were possibly English :D

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.