Need front end advise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need front end advise

Hello, I have a '34 Reo Coupe that I'm converting into a Restorod. I've put a 350 stroker in it with an automatic trans and new rear axle. My question is about the front end steering/axle/brakes. The original is too sloppy, it steers like a tractor with lots of play and I'm afraid the drum brakes won't be sufficient to stop the car now. Any suggestions on what to replace it with? I can send off some dimensions if needed.

Thanks,

Al

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Lots of help here. Can you post pictures of the axle/brakes. Is it IFS or I-beam?.
Welcome to the sight

Watercooled
Old 01-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

front end

have u looked in speedway's cat ??? as far as the drum on front go.. get rid of them.. thats just me, i hate them on st rods. one of the first things i tossed when i did my 2 T's. it just might be worth getting a whole new drop front axle with brakes and tie rods.. u'd be in the area of $1500-2000, not chromed. i used super bell with mid size gm disc and loved them..
Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 AM

Thanks, it's a standard era I-beam. Can u give me some directions on how to post a pic? Am new to this, I'm operating from an iPad and have pictures stored in same. Al
Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

pickup axle

A friend has an early 50's chevy pickup axle under his 22 dodge touring, And a disc brake conversion, spring spacing was the same. Measure the center to center front spring spacing and check out early 50's ford and chevy pickups for a beam axle. the first pict of the black touring
https://www.google.com/search?q=lee%...G8f8oASWhoHABg
Old 01-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks. It's an I-beam that curves up at the ends to align with the wheels. I believe standard for the era. Has leaf springs. Can you give me some advice on how to post pictures? Am new to this. Using an iPad with pictures stored in same.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 AM

It's a standard era I-beam that curves up to meet the wheels. Wish I could send you a picture but am new to this and don't know how. I'm operating from an iPad.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm not too familiar with an iPad, but the best way to post here is via a Photobucket account.

photobucket.com

Using this will put your photos full size here rather then a bunch of thumbnails that have to be opened one at a time.

As far as your front suspension, probably adapting some version of a Ford straight axle would work best with easily found parts including a disc brake arrangement. If you are worried that it wouldn't have enough 'drop', these are available in up to at least 5" though 3-4 inches should be fine. Speedway is possibly one of the better suppliers currently, just be careful of Ebay as some of these parts are unsafe and from an unknown maker: Plain 1928-34 Ford 4 Inch Dropped I-Beam Axle, 46 Inches - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Ok, I've set up an account on photobucket and threw in a couple pictures. How do I get them here? Thanks for all your help, I'm a real newby at this. If I click on the photo icon is asks for a URL address which I'm clueless about.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Last journal entry: TJ2 Highboy
Last photo:

Like the gentleman mentioned above, a Pete & Jakes painted axle with either wishbone or split link is ~ $1,200 + spindle & brake kit ~ $600 will do the trick. Speedway, Honest Charley, So Cal Speed. Prices ~ the same! Check, some offer reduced or freight promos.
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ2 For This Useful Post:
Aljanp (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Ok thanks, will ck them out
Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljanp View Post
Ok, I've set up an account on photobucket and threw in a couple pictures. How do I get them here? Thanks for all your help, I'm a real newby at this. If I click on the photo icon is asks for a URL address which I'm clueless about.
Click to open a photo, then on the right side you will see IMG. Click on it and you will see 'Copied'. When you see that, come back to Hotrodders and click 'Paste' on your current response. It will show as a link and that's actually what's pasted here. To check what you entered, do a 'Preview' and if you like what you see, hit Submit. Photobucket takes some getting used to, especially after they changed it a while back as it isn't completely 'idiot proof' (which computerwise I can identify with). If you delete, change or move the picture in Photobucket, it will disappear from here. Also, I suggest that you make your albums 'Private' - you really don't want to show personal photos to the world.

If you are still confused - just play around with settings on that site or PM me and maybe we can figure out the problem.

Dave W
Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Ok. First, thanks. I contacted PeteandJakes and they gave me the contact info for their guy in our area, which I haven't mentioned is England (which was going to eventually make it difficult, but not now). Re the photo, I managed to copy an image to a clipboard but on this screen that I'm writing on, there is no "paste" wording or as far as I can't no icon either. Must be the iPad formatting keeping it from me. I'll send you over some photos if you can or are allow to give me your email address. Either way, great responses and we can not get the ball rolling on finishing up this project. Have never heard of a Reo being rodded before. Before I moved here, there were no Reo cars of any kind in England!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljanp View Post
I'll send you over some photos if you can or are allow to give me your email address. Either way, great responses and we can not get the ball rolling on finishing up this project. Have never heard of a Reo being rodded before. Before I moved here, there were no Reo cars of any kind in England!
See the PM for the email address.

I figured you were possibly English

Dave W

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.