Need to go faster.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 05:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need to go faster....

Aight guys, I need some help from all you highly intelligent people. I have a 71 chevelle with the stock motor, wich was a 2 barrel but i switched it to a 4 barrel edelbrock 600 with a stock 350 intake. I have headers and msd ignition also. Im looking to go faster... I have about 1300 dollars to spend. I have 2.73 gears out back and a th350. I need to rebuild my motor and i am not sure where to start. I want some heads but not sure what to do. I could get some camel humps or aftermarket. I could get new rear gears or should i just get a new axle. What about a 4 speed. Inform me and guide me to where i need to be please...... I need A lot of advice, i have the knowledge just need to know what to get...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Get a Performer RPM Air Gap. Get a cam with around 224o duration with as close to 550 lift as possible. Get some full length headers. And get a 750 DP Holley off of Ebay.

Most importantly get these heads or something equivalent. If you want to go faster there are also some 200cc intake heads listed. Those heads will be too big unless you change more things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33617
Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would keep the motor and put some 3.73 gears in the back.
.02 worth
Old 10-16-2003, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: a good used 350 we installed
Last photo:

for a good seat of the pants difference 3.73 rear gears is a plus i got 3.91 in my sprint and i was amazed at the g force
Old 10-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`m with 1BAD80, gears are the biggest bang for the buck. if you spend wisely, you`ll have enough left over to add a small torque cam and a double roller timing chain, these mods will make that heavy chevy come out of the hole in a hurry.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

So gears will give me the biggest bang huh? I need to rebuild cause its smoking badly. But gears arent gonna cost 1300 dollars so what else can i do?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Sucking Gas & Haulin' A$$

Depends on what u want to do with the car. U want to race it? use it as a daily driver? Weekend driver? I am putting a rebuilt 355 in a 85 monte carlo. I am running flat-tops, 76CC heads that have been smoothed out in the inside, and planed .020. comp cams xtream energy 268H .477 .480 lift cam. performer rpm intake, eddie 600cfm carb and a B&m torque master 2000 1900-2100 rpm stall. The car has a 3.55 web rear-end. TH350 transmission with a B&M shift kit, and external cooler.

This is only a mild build up because the car is mostly going to be used as a daily driver that has some extra guts behind it. I need to to able to run 87octane gas if I have to.

If your car is NOT a daily driver, I would pull the motor and start rebuilding it since it is smoking. I only have about $1500-$1700 bucks in my engine. I would say it all depends on what u want to use the car for.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Chevy sittin' low

Here's my opinion for what it's worth: 1. First get gears-3.73's sound good. 2. a bigger cam (i'm not good with specs, ask some experts around here) 3. Depending on how much you have left, I would either get a higher stall converter, or a better manifold, take your pick....but, make sure they match the rpm band of your cam! I would also try to find a decent priced stage II shift kit, just for the fun factor. Depending on the amount and color of smoke, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Down the road I would shoot for a basic rebuild kit with new rings and bearings. Funny thing is, I have never taken my own advice, stupid me, but my car runs great so what the hey!

oh yeah, something that I have learned around here is......GEARS, GEARS, GEARS. #1! good luck, check out my nova in the album and let me know what you think!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:26 PM

Since your engine is smokin, I would rebuild that first. For $1300 you could rebuild it, buy some pro-topline heads, and use an XE268 comp cam. That will be a noticable difference over stock and also use a performer RPM air gap intake to replace the stock iron one. Your carb should work fine with that engine. If you dont have a good exhaust system, use either 2.25 or 2.5 duals with an H-pipe.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

Rebuild your engine first. Then buy heads, then buy gears,etc.. You could always got to a junk yard and get gears or a rear end. By the way it sounds like you want to build your car, you should plan on eventually spending $2,500-$3,000 or more to get it reliable and fast.

The 268 is a very small cam. If you rebuild the engine, build it at at least 10:1 and use a much bigger cam or you will be dissapointed. Get something with a 230o duration around 550 lift if you want to approach 400 hp. Again, only with the raised compression.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Aight so gears and rebuild are atop my list... I would like to get a new cam and intake also... What do you guys think about the rebuild kit from northern auto parts? The street performance one. And this is my daily driver to school and back.. I would like to install a shift kit. How difficult is that to do? And what should i do about heads?? To get or not to get? And if i get a new big cam i would have to get a new torque converter and valve springs right?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Chevy sittin' low

You have the same "right now" symptom that has bitten me more then once. My car was also a daily driver and I should've focused more on reliability then power. I guess the wiser are right, for now just get that sucker freshened up inside and try to find a deal on gears, they're out there. Shift kit isn't hard at all, I was a little uneasy about it, so I had a guy install it with the rebuild (got a deal for $100+parts). They come with instructions and if you are competent with legos or can color inside the lines, then this really shouldn't be a problem; I've had lot's of friends install them, and some them are pretty dim As far as the cam, you can go a bit bigger and not need a new converter, they just help. I have a 270H magnum cam in my 350 and Comp recommends a higher stall, but dose not require one for my cam; on top of that, I have stock springs also. Heads are a pretty diverse field. You could spend everything you have right now on some awesome heads, or do what has worked for the past 30+ years and get some iron bowties worked over to make great power. For the same price as that, you could probably even get some really good mid range aluminum heads. Just do research you'll find what you want. I've been reading up almost daily for the last year, and have yet to decide exactly what build up I want to do. Just remember, there was a time before the aftermarket, as were there fast cars. Don't be suckered in just by a namebrand! good luck!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:25 PM

I agree with Adrenaline Fiend, first make sure everything you NEED is in good working order first: brakes, cooling, electrical, etc... It's not the fun stuff, but necessary. I am young, and only have one car, and I rely on it get me to work, my GTO. Since I bought it, I have had to replace the tranny, radiator, distributor, pumps, hoses, and more to get where I am now taking on the engine. But if the engine is the biggest problem, start there. And if you just want power right now, everyone else's suggestions are good. Good heads make good power. If you don't have enough money for the best parts, buy a piece at a time and be patient, it will be worth it in the end.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

That Northern Auto Parts kit looks low quality. You get what you pay for. That kit is more for rebuilding an engine that you will put in a car you are going to sell. If you're going to build a bottom end you should get parts that will last. Don't go through all that trouble to have it last only a couple years.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:04 PM

summit has a stroker kit. not a rebuild kit but a just a replace every thing in your stroker kinda kit.it runs around $1200.00 that would be a big start

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.