Need a good, easy to tune, no hassle carburator - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When I think no hassle I think manual choke. Not savvy on the Qjet are there versions as such?,,,just ask'n thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Easy to tune, no hassle carb? Sure, it's called electronic fuel injection!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
When I think no hassle I think manual choke. Not savvy on the Qjet are there versions as such?,,,just ask'n thanks
There is a manual choke conversion available for the q-jet, but personally, I like the electric choke, on a Q jet.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Both electric and thermostatic chokes are called "automatic chokes" for a reason. Their hassle free when properly adjusted. If no or less hassle is what you want, then auto choke is the route to go.
With a manual choke like I have first I have to pull full choke/fast idle to keep it running (1500 rpm) I get about 1/2 mi and it's bump it down time(1000 rpm)
to half. When it get's to 160* I can open the choke all the way. I kind of wish I had auto choke sometimes so I don't have to screw with it! But, that's the carb I bought used and re-built came with.

With auto choke it does all that for you.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

I agree on the electric choke being less hassle . My t-bucket came with a 1405 Edelbrock and I put an electric choke conversiion on it which as I understand, made it a 1406 . I liked it much better with the electric choke . But I must reiterate that even after using a calibration kit on the 1405 and having it run as good as it could with that carb, I bought and rebuilt a Q-jet and installed it wednesday and it runs even better and smoother, about as close to fuel injection smoothness as I can expect . My 2010 Equinox doesn't run much smoother . I LOVE a Q-jet !
Old 10-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

carter/edelbrock carbs are junk. they vapor lock easily and the accelerator pumps make the throttle feel sticky after 6 to 12 months of daily use. I threw two of those in the trash a few years ago.

Yes, q-jets are great carbs (in good running condition). But they are a little tougher to get setup right.

a holley 3310 (750 vacuum secondary) is very durable, not prone to vapor lock, cheap, and easy to tune. Most likely has the correct tune right out of the box, may just need to be leaned a little on the primary's (drop from 72's to 70's).

but you will need to use a carb adaptor (square to spread bore) if you use the 3310 on a q-jet intake..

here you go.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-65-3310/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-1932/

Last edited by 454C10; 10-01-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I'm loving my Summit 750 vacuum sec carb w/ electric choke. Very little tuning needed out of the box. Just little stuff like float level, curb idle and adding a fuel regulator. It's pretty much a holley model with summit's name in the casting. All turning and repair parts are holley interchangeable.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
I've had it up to my eyeballs with the q-jet on my old beater truck. I rebuilt it and it ran good for a while, but now it acts like it' flooding and it's leaking fuel. This isn't something I'm looking to hotrod. I just want something reliable and dependable to get me back and forth from the parts store and lumber yard. I don't even care if its a four barrel or not. So does anyone have any recommendations?
For KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) there's nothing like a Holley in your case you'd want something like the Q jet replacement that Holley makes see here http://www.holley.com/0-80555C.asp This is a bolt on replacement for the Qjet.

Not cheap, they can be found used on E-bay. These are a bolt on replacement that hooks up to your GM fuel line. The innards use standard Holley jets and power valve so tuning parts are at most corner parts stores rather than a special order out of LA.

The Q jet is a darn good carb but is fussy and once worn out requires a lot of special work to bring it back that is beyond the scope of most back yard mechanics, hence the high level of frustration you often see on this subject.

The Holley will not deliver the fuel economy of either the Qjet or the Carter and their clones as it just doesn't have all the adjustment possibilities with jets, metering rods, cams, arms, counterweights, and vacuum piston return springs. But then most people aren't capable of setting up Qjets and Carters at this level of sophistication anyway so the theoretical possibilities of these carbs usually remain theoretical. The Holley just does an average job and works well with people who have average carburetor skills.

Bogie
Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

I had one holley spreadbore. Its all it took for me to NEVER buy that carb again. I've worked with holleys, edelbrocks, rochesters, minukis, webers, and probably something I'm forgetting but the holley spreadbore was the worst.

I liked the Minukis the best but they're for IR setup. Edelbrocks are dirt simple, and easy to clean and rebuild should you ever need it. Qjets work great, but when something is out of tune its a PITA.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

So CMR...that should clear it up for 'ya!! After all these good replys it just makes it very clear that everyone has had a good or bad experience with just about every carb known to man. Q-jets are a GREAT unit ...IF set up properly and the fact that most said to have a "Professional" rebuild it has to tell you something. Put a Rochester 2 bbl. and call it good for a daily driver!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

Q-jet saturated float's common. Don't reuse the old one. If the float bowls are draining overnight hammer the well plugs between the throttle plate and body, clean with a wire brush and epoxy. Raising the primary metering rods a touch really improves off idle throttle response.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:12 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
I agree on the electric choke being less hassle . I bought and rebuilt a Q-jet and installed it Wednesday and it runs even better and smoother, about as close to fuel injection smoothness as I can expect . My 2010 Equinox doesn't run much smoother . I LOVE a Q-jet !
I'm having the same experience with my 600 vac. sec. holley. It'll fry the tires right off idle. Pretty close to the 3.1 V-6 in my GP. At only 10 mpg in my truck with 4:10's, mileage is really not important and even changing over to a Q-jet that might net me 1 more mpg doesn't warrant the cost of change over with a 20 gal. tank.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Favorite carburetor

Yup , It's just like everything else . Everybody's got their favorite . Otherwise we would all be drinking Diet 7-UP and driving GM and running Q-jets and all the other companies would be out of business . I won't argue preferences . I just state my experiences and it is up to every individual to run what they want to . I got criticized today for not having a Ford drivetrain in my T-bucket . Exchange went like this : he "You should keep it all original" me "There's nothing original about this" he: "Well when you start with a Ford you should keep it all Ford" I wanted to say that if I wanted to work on it I would have put in a Ford drivetrain but since I want to drive it I put in a Chevy drivetrain . But I didn't want to start a fight in the Lowes parking lot , so I bit my tongue . Ooooooh , I can hear all the Ford guys now . Just kidding guys, they're all good . Run what puts a grin on your face . I do.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Well I will throw my 2 cents in here as I have experience with both holley and edelbrock carbs and they are both good but after much learning about how to tune carbs etc I have found holley to be much better wise for more fine tuning options then edelbrock and perform better.

I am running a holley 600 1850 model with the added metering block in the rear on my 96 s10 with a 350 sbc and let me tell you this carb has been the best carburetor I have ever had period. I give me engine one shot of gas every morning and it fires right up with no issues.

My Dad has one as well on his Ford 302 and he has excellent fuel mileage with his 96 ford truck and gets about 20 mpg on the highway and can roast the tires no problem. Also built one for my Brother and his 305 chevy and it works very well for his stock setup with no issues.

I have never had any experience with a Qjet but I am sure it is a very nice carburetor if you know what your doing with one. They all have there good and bad flaws.
Eric
Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
I'm having the same experience with my 600 vac. sec. holley. It'll fry the tires right off idle. Pretty close to the 3.1 V-6 in my GP. At only 10 mpg in my truck with 4:10's, mileage is really not important and even changing over to a Q-jet that might net me 1 more mpg doesn't warrant the cost of change over with a 20 gal. tank.
Like I said, to each his own preference but with my T-bucket having only an eight (8) gallon tank, I need all the fuel mileage I can get . I have been rationing myself to one tank of gas a week, that is $21.oo for 7 gallons of 89 octane . I checked the mileage over several tankfulls with the Edelbrock and averaged 14.47 mpg. I am keeping my hopes up for another mpg or two with the Q-jet .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.