Need a good flexible paint for fiberglass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 07:14 AM
ItStartsSomewhereInTheSku LL

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need a good flexible paint for fiberglass

Hello everybody,

I work at a golf course in the maintenance department and since I have been using the shop for some of my personal projects, my boss ask me what I could do as far as refurbishing/painting our flag sticks.

The flag sticks are striped in red and white and are made of fiberglass. Being near the ocean in the northeast, these things whip around in the wind and sometimes almost bend to the point of touching the green. I'm looking for a paint that can withstand these conditions and be fairly easy to apply, preferably a rattle can, but I do have the ability to use a spray gun.

This is not really a hotrodding question, but I figured that I would ask the experts for some ideas. I attached a picture of the flag.

Thank you in advance for any help.

John

BTW, this would definitely increase my ability to use the shop for more projects and maybe a spray booth! ...wishful thinking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(20).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	36116  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Last photo:

Valspar plastic paint, used some the other day and I was very impressed with how it sprayed and how durable it is. It would certainly be cheaper than any automotive or epoxy paint. I purchased it at the local Lowes.

Vince

Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

You have a few issues here, first issue is you want a spray can type paint so for flexibility go with an enamel and being that it is non activated you would have very good flexibility.
The bad news is the salt air and sun will kill it inside of a few months to a year.

A once and for all solution would be is a base coat and then a polyurethane clear but now you are talking a spray gun. This may get you 10-15 years if a good grade is used.

For 18 flags why not find a body shop that is not busy and be done with it.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM
ItStartsSomewhereInTheSku LL

Last photo:

Vince and Barry,

Thank you for the tips. After reading your advise, I think I'm going the experiment with the rattle can route along with some clear coats at first and see how durable it is, then decide if we should use an automotive paint.

The boss said to price out each option to see the cost differences. I'm almost thinking automotive paint would end up being cheaper and definitely more durable.

John
Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by obx2ack
Vince and Barry,

The boss said to price out each option to see the cost differences. I'm almost thinking automotive paint would end up being cheaper and definitely more durable.

John
There is no doubt that automotive paint would be more durable, but if you have to buy everything to apply it yourself there is no way it's cheaper.

Vince

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.