Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need a good shopvac, not like the lousy thing I have from Sears
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need a good shopvac, not like the lousy thing I have from Sears

I have a Sears 3 hp 6 gallon shopvac.

Mine won't pick up dust. Anything half an inch beyond the end of the hose won't even be disturbed, except maybe by the noise. There's nothing else it produces that could disturb anything.

If I use the hose as a giant eraser and scrub it across the surface I want to clean, it will disturb the dirt enough so that anything in direct contact that's light enough will get sucked into the machine. Yes, I've changed filters and tried to keep it clean.

The bottom line is that an rag is a easier, more powerful solution for clean-up than this expensive noisemaker from sears. When I try to clean surfaces in my shop or home with this thing, the only sign I've attempted are the marks or tracks the physical contact of the attachment I was using made in the dust I was trying to clean. Other than the tracks the tool physically made in the dust, the dust is undisturbed.

Don't get me wrong. If I take the attachments off and put the bare hose against my hand, it will bite and hang on. Once the end of the bare hose is w/in a 1/4 inch of something, such as my hand, the suction becomes powerful. But as I said, move the hose a 1/4 inch further away and my hand, and the dirt, might as well be on the moon. Sears tells me everything is fine.

Is this how shop vacs are supposed to work? I wouldn't know. I always used rags before to keep things clean.