Need guidance low budget drag engine building - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need guidance low budget drag engine building

Can anyone give us some guidance on building a drag race engine for our 1970 camaro?? It has lots of good parts and we have very little cash and need the most bang for the buck. Big block or Small block???? Need to be in the 9's if possible for the quarter or maybe 10's depends on cost!!!!!!!! Trying to figure out what to spend cash on that will work. thanks,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

You have to decide what you want first, to meet the budget or the ET.

What parts do you have that are good? Whatever you do they need to all work together? Whats the total weight of the car? What tire, rear gear, trans, stall etc.....

Then someone can help
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

First you need to minimize the cars weight.
If it don't make the car stop, go or steer, it has to go.
Find 100 places to remove a pound. They add up.
The lighter the weight the less horsepower required.
You may have some good parts laying around but 12second
parts are not going to go 9's. Cubes are king.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The obvious budget approach to fast times is N2O. I say that grudgingly because I don't much care for it- but the facts are what they are: There is no cheaper way to knock a BIG chunk off of your ET than a bottle fed engine.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The obvious budget approach to fast times is N2O. I say that grudgingly because I don't much care for it- but the facts are what they are: There is no cheaper way to knock a BIG chunk off of your ET than a bottle fed engine.
I agree, and if misused there is no faster way to destroy a motor!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

what kind of buget are we talking about here. everyone has given very good replies with weight reduction, and NO2 (i agree with you guys as well, i dont like it) i think you would actually save some money by going with a BBC, the amount of money it would take to build a 9 sec NA SBC will likely be 8-10K. since if using a production SBC block ($$ savings) your max possible cubes would be about 421-427 (and that is a push using a 3.875" crank in a production block. and with those cubes you would need to push about 1.6-1.7hp per cube (not to mention pushing the block to the brink) vs using a late model 502 block with a 4.250" crank makng 540cid you would only be pusing about 1.3hp per cube which is a much more atanable goal (all based on 3000lb car with 700hp running high 9's)

so if you would give us some more info; buget, what you have, trans, rear, gears, what slicks you plan to run, do you have suspension/ budget for suspension etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Whast car has or doesnt have atthis point

Sorry I didnt give enough info before. The car is an acid dipped 1970 camaro, has full cage, msd ignition, 12 bolt rear with spooled 456 gears, bracket powerglide with trans brake and also line lock, hurst quarter stick with air shift capability. Biondo 200 Delay box, frame connectors, traction masters, (still leaf sprung), 10.5 slicks and skinny tires on the front. Lexan windows, fiberglass doors, fiberglass front end (one piece) stripped interior with only a racing seat and belts. Fuel cell, Holley blue electric fuel pump and battaries in the trunk by the fuel cell. Interior cut up some and replaced with lighter sheet metal pieces. Dont know how much it weighs but it is really light weight! Would like to get it to run 9's for Super Gas or at least 10's. Problem is (as always) $$$$ !!! How can I get there as inexpensivly as possible???? Am I better off big block or small block as fas as costs etc...... HELP!!!!! Thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Big block. It's easier to make the power you need with a bigger engine instead of trying to squeeze 6 or 700 hp out of a small block, although it is definitely possible if you have the $.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Big block. It's easier to make the power you need with a bigger engine instead of trying to squeeze 6 or 700 hp out of a small block, although it is definitely possible if you have the $.

I'm a fan of small block, but if you want to hit 9's the cheapest way is with a big block, you could do it with a 454, 496 502, or bigger. For a 700hp level you could use a facotry block and so really well done ported factory heads- though aftermarket may be cheaper in the long run. You could probably even do it on pump gas if you wanted to really challenge yourself.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Here is the best value in a Big Block I know-can you afford this?

http://www.nyesautomotive.net/540__700hp.html
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

save $ by scouring the internet

especially craigslist. Have as much as you want to spend on hand, in cash, and then find the add that says: "baby on the way, wife says 1/2 finished car project (or race engine) must go - first $xxx takes it" These are hard times and a lot of people have unrealistic expectations.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Here is the best value in a Big Block I know-can you afford this?

http://www.nyesautomotive.net/540__700hp.html

this is a pretty good priced 700hp BBC, you will have about another 1000.00 into it before you are able to put in the car (carb, ignition, water pump). i still think you could build a high 9's BBC for a bit less than that if you can do all the work your self except the block machine work and some minor head work that you could source out. since i would want a forged crank it really wont matter if you buy a 4.00" or a 4.250" crank they will cost the same, so will the rods, and the shorter compression height pistons shouldn't cost you anymore either so their is no benifit in not going with a 540, you want the most cubes possible to make it eaiser. and like mentioned before look on craigslist, ebay, and there is another site called racingjunk.com check them out as well for racing parts.

i'll ask this again, what is your actuall budget for your engine, give us a rough ball park figure. if you can't spend atleast 6000.00 on the motor then hang up the 9's you may be able to build a may break any day 10's motor for that
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Forget a pump gas 540...... get a 454 put a boatlaod of compression to it with some dome pistons, some square port open chamber iron heads and a big roller cam......... and then try to get the car to hook ..... since it is just a drag race engine you will spend more money trying to make that power with pump gas. A stock steel crank and good rods will handle all you can throw at it with a good balance job.Pay attention to the valvetrain and spin it to 7500.Once you get used to it put a big old fogger on it. It will be fast and easy on your pocketbook. The look on your competition's face when they see your iron headed monster will be priceless and budget still intact.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM

1970 Camaro Toofun

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
this is a pretty good priced 700hp BBC, you will have about another 1000.00 into it before you are able to put in the car (carb, ignition, water pump). i still think you could build a high 9's BBC for a bit less than that if you can do all the work your self except the block machine work and some minor head work that you could source out. since i would want a forged crank it really wont matter if you buy a 4.00" or a 4.250" crank they will cost the same, so will the rods, and the shorter compression height pistons shouldn't cost you anymore either so their is no benifit in not going with a 540, you want the most cubes possible to make it eaiser. and like mentioned before look on craigslist, ebay, and there is another site called racingjunk.com check them out as well for racing parts.

i'll ask this again, what is your actuall budget for your engine, give us a rough ball park figure. if you can't spend atleast 6000.00 on the motor then hang up the 9's you may be able to build a may break any day 10's motor for that
I can spend 6000 but I can't spend 6000 all at once. One or two here one or two there. I think I may have a handle on a truck 502 with 20K miles is that a good starting point????
Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toofun Racing
I can spend 6000 but I can't spend 6000 all at once. One or two here one or two there. I think I may have a handle on a truck 502 with 20K miles is that a good starting point????
It depends on what you want to end up with... Doing it all at once can save you a lot of money and time but you can build up this one and add parts as you go. Eventually you'll need to replace about all of the parts though...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.