Need head advice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Yeah the 23 degree's look good post some pics when they come in please.


Does anyone know if the new sbc 13 degree heads are for gen I v8s?

SBC 13 Degree All American Cylinder Heads

LS engine are 12 degree and i wouldnt see any reason to change them to 13 and these really look like regular chevy heads. If these are gen one i would love to give them a try. I have used 18 degree heads and nothing in the 23 range was even close.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 255 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I'm very impressed with what I read about them also. Extraordinary performance at a reasonable price. These could become the default SBC heads to begin a build with.
I agree, and I know not to believe everything you read on the interweb....that being said the published flow numbers rival AFR stuff and look like they top some much higher dollar brodix and dart stuff.....they did tell me repeatedly that when and if I want to do or have some work done to them to give them a call and they will gladly help out. Will take many pics when they finally land here. They said they were cast, but nothing else is done to them until they are ordered. Pretty excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 255 Times in 221 Posts
(And it may have been just a nice sales talk deal, but he said my combo sounded like a "heavy hitter" and should make big numbers.).......I do have an ego and was pleased as a peach to hear that lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: anoka mn
Posts: 379
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
I am a "bigger is better" kinda guy....but when it comes to heads, and only 360ci I don't suspect following my natural instinct is the best play here lol. So lets get your take
You know my cam, comp, and intake, gear is 488, stall is 3k
You have 1100$ and have to buy from summit or jegs.
What are you putting your cash on for best bang for the buck sir.
Thanks Vin!
Dave
Search under my name- i have a set of jegs 195cc heads. cheaper than both of what you posted and my flow number prior to the work i did flow better than your options you listed. also the jegs heads have a LOT of room if you want to work them out. probably to a 210 at max. i kept mine 195 because of my motor size and its use. other wise if i reworked the cross section they would have been a lot better. jegs uses the old design from afr. i verified this with mamo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 255 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blight View Post
Search under my name- i have a set of jegs 195cc heads. cheaper than both of what you posted and my flow number prior to the work i did flow better than your options you listed. also the jegs heads have a LOT of room if you want to work them out. probably to a 210 at max. i kept mine 195 because of my motor size and its use. other wise if i reworked the cross section they would have been a lot better. jegs uses the old design from afr. i verified this with mamo.
Do u have any pics of the heads? I'm being told otherwise, that all the current jegs heads are profiler cores with their own hardware. And that being said, yes, all their cores start as a 195 with a ton of room, this is as stated by Chad Speier who is using Profiler cores almost exclusively. Either way, looks like a very good head with lots of potential to grow.
For the money I'm not going to complain and it will see dyno and track time in the spring and we will see how it looks then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,261
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 93 Times in 79 Posts
I have the Brodix IK200 heads.
I started out wanting a Trick Flow Specialties head but they had a long backlog.
In the end I bought these from Competition Products.....cheaper than Summit.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 255 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
I have the Brodix IK200 heads.
I started out wanting a Trick Flow Specialties head but they had a long backlog.
In the end I bought these from Competition Products.....cheaper than Summit.


That's what I was going with myself. Was going to use the summit house brand which are IK200's and priced right at 1050$ for the pair. But the Pro-Filers seem to have more room to grow and are having some incredible results. Either way, you really can't go wrong with the brodix, dart, etc etc...even the entry level stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: anoka mn
Posts: 379
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
That's what I was going with myself. Was going to use the summit house brand which are IK200's and priced right at 1050$ for the pair. But the Pro-Filers seem to have more room to grow and are having some incredible results. Either way, you really can't go wrong with the brodix, dart, etc etc...even the entry level stuff.
The OLD jegs heads are pro-filers....

before the work that was done. I don't have any pics of from after the fact. I just cleaned up some problem areas. again if you just search threads under my name I have one with the flow chart after the little bit of head work I did. These have way more potential than what I did. Also pretty much any head you get unless its an afr that has already been hand ported and cleaned up, is going to be needed to cleaned up. They are just castings. Just get a cheep set of good castings that have a lot of room to grow. That is what I did. Also too big is bad, too small is bad. Afr found that on their 500+ hp 327 their 195s work just fine to support that. dyno sheet and all. google 500 hp 327. its should be one of the first articles.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...ttomofhead.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a.../topofhead.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...intakeport.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...xhaustport.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 255 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blight View Post
The OLD jegs heads are pro-filers....

before the work that was done. I don't have any pics of from after the fact. I just cleaned up some problem areas. again if you just search threads under my name I have one with the flow chart after the little bit of head work I did. These have way more potential than what I did. Also pretty much any head you get unless its an afr that has already been hand ported and cleaned up, is going to be needed to cleaned up. They are just castings. Just get a cheep set of good castings that have a lot of room to grow. That is what I did. Also too big is bad, too small is bad. Afr found that on their 500+ hp 327 their 195s work just fine to support that. dyno sheet and all. google 500 hp 327. its should be one of the first articles.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...ttomofhead.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a.../topofhead.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...intakeport.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...xhaustport.jpg
They look nice.......
I agree, that's why I went with the profilers, I read and read and read about how good they are right out of the box cast, but how much better they get with some work by someone competent (not me lol).
I may have these cut down .020 to get around 60cc's after I actually confirm the chamber volume. That puts me right at 10.8:1 comp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cylinder head advice camaroadam73 Engine 9 05-18-2010 04:28 PM
Head advice slimcheese Engine 5 02-11-2010 01:40 PM
Need head/valve advice ddekeyser Engine 6 08-23-2009 04:11 PM
Head Selection Advice Regal Beagle Engine 5 05-29-2008 01:37 PM
need advice.. the head is off snowicki Engine 4 09-08-2003 03:40 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.