Need help with 12 bolt rear end pinion seal. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with 12 bolt rear end pinion seal.

I am replacing a leaky pinion seal on my 12 bolt rear end. I removed the yoke, but I cannot get the seal out. So far I pretty much mutilated the seal. What can I do to get this old seal out? Ive been using a flat head screwdriver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I usually start with the screwdrive to get the lip up, then clamp on some good vise-grips and leverage it out. New one goes in easier than they come out! LOL
Old 09-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your help! Is it normal for them to get stuck? Because Im basically just tearing peices of it off.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Yep, especially if someone used Loctite or something similar on the old one. Part of the problem might be the screwdriver and its inability to leverage out the seal. A seal puller or any tool with a curved lip that can get under the seal would be better in popping it out. Just make sure that you remove the debris before setting the new seal, and check that there are no dings on the edge that would hinder the new seal from being tapped in straight.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Well I just dont think this seal wants to come out. I snapped the seal puller on the first try. Here is a picture of my mess.
I am going to swap the gears anyway, so would it be easier without the pinion in the way? Also Is a quick change ring and pinion easier to install?I also attached a picture of my gears. If anyone can give me any info It will be greatly
appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor 001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	14663  

Last edited by cujoe822; 09-07-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Last photo:

Hate to tell you this, but you're chewing away the side of the bearing. No big thing since you might have been replacing the bearing anyway - now you have to for sure. In your picture, the seal is brownish-gold color and very light gauge metal. Everything else inside is bearing material.

As Jmark mentioned in an above post, you can take a chisel or old screwdriver and bend out the outer edge of the seal, and then grab it with vice grips and yank it loose. I like to keep on tapping it from the outside to the inside until I can get behind the edge and pop it out. You can also tap out the pinion (be very careful of the threads) to the rear, and then tap out the bearing and seal together with a long drift. To get the pinion out, replace the nut on the pinion without the yolk, and align the nut flush with the end of the pinion. Use something soft against the pinion end - anything softer than the pinion like a soft blow hammer hit with a mallet, or a brass, aluminum, or wood chunk between the pinion end and mallet. After initially getting the pinion to move backwards until the nut goes up against the bearing, remove the nut and then even more carefully tap the pinion out the rest of the way. Be ready to catch it when it comes popping out the rear.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Last photo:

You are attacking it wrong. The seal has a thin metal flange that butts up against the axle housing. That is where you want to start prying it out. Get an appropriate sized screw driver and drive it in between the thin metal flange and the axle housing.

Vince
Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys!! Good thing Im swapping gears. Your help Is appreciated! When reinstalling the new ring and pinion would you suggest leaving it to a pro? Or is it
just the reverse of removal? Bearings etc.

Last edited by cujoe822; 09-07-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you are going to change the gears, take it to a professional that has experience in setting up the gears. It is NOT a job of just putting them in. There are many settings/clearances/torques to be done correctly. You may get "lucky" but not too often. If done wrong, the ring and pinion will most likely be noisey or at the worst, chew each other up. Its not cheap having a pro do it, but its cheaper than having to do it twice after it comes apart.

Mark
Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Is it possible to just change the pinion bearing without removing everything else?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

The pinion gear will have to be removed to change bearings. The roller portion of the small front gear might come right out after the seal is removed, or it might have a slight press fit and stay put on the shaft. Regardless, the back large pinion bearing is pressed firmly on to the pinion shaft and it requires the proper tools and expertise to remove it from the shaft. The rear bearing will probably be good to reuse as long as it is taken off properly. The front small bearing race is tapped out forward once the pinion shaft is out of the way.

Setting up a rear end properly is close to practicing vodoo. While the novice and intermediate use specialized tools, I have observed three long time professionals do everything by sight and feel. Everytime, the old hands at it ended up with a quiet and good running unit. The ones using tools sometimes had to reset things on a second attempt because of gear whine.

The old salts did the proper math on setting the pinion depth from the specs of the new pinion compared to the old, but everything after that was done by experienced "feel". Sort of like watching seasoned carpenters frame a house.

Pay a professional to set your gears up, but stick around and watch the process.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.