Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help with a 12 v to 6 v reducer
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

need help with a 12 v to 6 v reducer

Trying to use the original temp gauge in my 41 pontiac,obviously 6 v. system but converted to 12v. bought a reducer and installed it, worked good on the bench, pegged out once it was installed. After much confustion I checked the output on the reducer, it was a full 12 v. Now I'm told, the reducer has to match the use. The one I bought said 1.5 ohms, 4 amps. counter guy said that was Max. 2nd guy says no, that's exact. If you want to run a 1 amp thing, you need to wire 4 of them in series?????? So the questions are : how do I determine the ohm resistance and amp draw of my gauge? Where do I find one the right size (they carried only the one 4 amp job)? And most puzzling to me, what am I missing? If the reducer cuts the voltage to 6 volts, and the gauge draws less than 4 amps, why does that burn it up? More I can understand, but less?
can someone explain the theory/science behind this? have any other solutions? At $12 each I don't want to run 4 of them, plus I don't know where I would put 4 of them.