Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help with a 12 v to 6 v reducer
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

12v to 6 volt

Thanks for the reply Doc. I'm not sure I understand, but at least you do.

Got the strong feeling the parts guys were winging it. Let me see if I can get this straight.

1. No, I don't have a gauge drawing 4 amps, that was the rating on the voltage reducer, I guess if I did, the parts guy would be happy. .

2. "burned up" was my way of saying, it doesn't do what I think it should do. ( I get so frustrated with electrical issues my common sense dissapears. There was no visibile or olfacotry issue with the reducer at all, it just wasn't "reducing" the voltage.)

3. No reverse polarity problems. It's a Pontiac, negative ground.

4. The lead from the gauge to the sender is a separate, direct wire. I can replace it, but seriously doubt it is broken or grounded, as I looked for that. Which leaves the simplest, most likely, problem. wrong sender.

I'm searching for an original sender, in the meatime I used a generic. Before installing, I hooked it up with the lead and a ground. Took a reading in the open air, about 100 degrees (nice south texas day),
then I held it in a cup of near boiling water, about 200 degrees.

For grins I stuck an ice cube on it and it pegged down. So I figured I was close. Installed it and it went straight to the peg on the hot side.

So, I guess either the sender or the gauge must have had some poor ground until they were properly installed? So, I proceeded, assuming the sender was OK.

How would you go about identifying the proper sending unit?

[If i understand correctly - it is the sender that now has too much resistance, so that must have been the poor ground in my test??

Is that correct? ]

Is there a way to "balance" the sender and gauge, or do I just have to have an original sender? Sorry to be so long winded, but I would rather understand the problem, than just throw parts at it till it works.

don

Last edited by docvette; 06-16-2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Edit for ease of read