Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need help with a 12 v to 6 v reducer
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

need help 6v to 12 volt

Well Doc, here's an update. Turns out the Hot Rod shop did not have senders listed by resistance. (they seem to know less about this than I do, now). So back to the parts store to browse the Standard catalog. found one that was listed as 24.7 ohms at 220 degrees and 152 ohms at 100 degrees (I figured I needed 33 at 220 and 105 at 100 degrees, but this was as close as I could get). Went home to try the "heating water Test". The gauge pegged before the water got to 100 degrees. (It would start out slowly and about halfway up the gauge just swing over to the peg, as the water got hotter it pegged faster). Almost seems like i have a ground at the gauge or in the wire (I've checked this several times) but when i disconnect the ground from the sender, the gauge doesn't move,(seems if I had a short to ground it would read all the time) Also the resistors placed in the ground wire did make the gauge work properly. Does this make any sense to you? Can you guess what I am doing wrong? Also, I appear to have another problem. My battery went dead after sitting for 4 days (second time), so I put the voltmeter between the negative terminal and the negative cable, I read 10.2 volts. (I expected 0) I get the same reading if I put it between the positive post and positive cable. From reading other posts, I disconnected the alternator completely, but got the same reading. Next I will start pulling fuses to try and isolate this problem. Could this problem be affecting my sender testing?
Lastly, do you have a simple schematic for a mid 80's gm wiring harness with the 3 wire alternator and built in regulator? This one is wired with both leads from the alternator connected together and then runs everywhere. that doesn't seem right to me, and I can't seem to isolate anything cause it just feeds in a circle. Sorry to be so long winded, but most of my hair is on the shop floor. Don