need help!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help!!!

what is the best size tread to use on vinyl. In what do they mean by 8 oz.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The standard thread for sewing any upholstery is nylon #69. Size for size, nylon is stronger than polyester. If whatever you're sewing is going to be outside most of the time, use polyester thread which holds up to UV rays better than nylon. Size 92 polyester is slightly bigger in diameter and slightly stronger than #69 nylon and is more expensive.

8 oz. is the weight of the fabric by yard. That doesn't mean much unless you know how it's being weighed. If it's by linear yard, 36" by 60" it is relatively light. If it's measured by square yard, 36" by 36", it's almost twice the weight of fabric measured linearly, and relatively heavy. Most fabric, and probably yours, is measured linearly. Neither of those is exceptionally heavy. The heaviest vinyl I ever worked with was 12 oz. Naugahyde measured linearly (brand name for vinyl...polyvinyl chloride) which was extremely heavy. Either one of the threads I just mentioned will work fine.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-10-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

Dan sometimes i will sew in i go to pull it out the machine, In it don't want to come out.I look under the piece i'm sewing in it has three piece's of tread going down into the Bobbin.what am i doing Wrong?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Dan sometimes i will sew in i go to pull it out the machine, In it don't want to come out.I look under the piece i'm sewing in it has three piece's of tread going down into the Bobbin.what am i doing Wrong?
I know this one well! Next time this happens, take hold of the top of your handwheel, (the large pulley on the machine,) and turn it counter-clockwise (basically pulling the top of the handwheel toward you) until the thread releases. Always turn the handwheel in this direction only when the machine is threaded.

What's happening is your machine hasn't finished the last stitch it made. If you look at where your bobbin carriage snaps into place, you'll see what looks like a tapered finger that surrounds the bobbin and the carriage. The thread is still wrapped around that, and trying to finish the stitch.

Simplest way to eliminate this problem is to make sure your machine is at "top dead center" before you lift the presser foot and try to move the fabric out of there. To do this, just turn the top of the handwheel toward you until both the needle and the thread guide on your machine that moves up and down as you sew is all the way up.

This gave me fits for a long time. Now it's just a habit to take my foot off the treadle when I've finished a stitch, and turn the handwheel until the needle and that thread guide are both all the way up before I even lift the presser foot. It never happens to me now.

Last edited by Dusty82; 10-11-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

How is the machine sewing other times? Did you take the machine to a pro to have it timed and tensioned correctly? They aren't necessarily set up correctly out of the box. A small deviation in timing can screw it up big time. Did you put the bobbin in correctly? The thread should come off the bobbin from left to right. Is the machine threaded correctly? In any case, take it to a pro or have him come to you. If you don't have anybody close to you, I can give you the name of a reputable repair shop you can ship the machine head to to have it set up.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

I did find out that when i turned the wheel it did right.The machine works very good.It does it now and then.I did a Peace,I just drew a free hand pieces to see if i was any good to start with.this is my first Peace i sewed.you guys here are a big help,Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4199.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	24831  
Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
I know this one well! Next time this happens, take hold of the top of your handwheel, (the large pulley on the machine,) and turn it counter-clockwise (basically pulling the top of the handwheel toward you) until the thread releases. Always turn the handwheel in this direction only when the machine is threaded.

What's happening is your machine hasn't finished the last stitch it made. If you look at where your bobbin carriage snaps into place, you'll see what looks like a tapered finger that surrounds the bobbin and the carriage. The thread is still wrapped around that, and trying to finish the stitch.

Simplest way to eliminate this problem is to make sure your machine is at "top dead center" before you lift the presser foot and try to move the fabric out of there. To do this, just turn the top of the handwheel toward you until both the needle and the thread guide on your machine that moves up and down as you sew is all the way up.

Good job Dusty! I guess that I do this so unconsciously that I didn't even think of something that simple.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 PM

Also having the correct needle size will help. For 69 & 92 the needle tip size should at least a#18 to #21
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:

Nice job on the sample sewing. You tied off the stitch underneath? Wow. Nice finishing for the first time. Looks so much nicer on detail pieces than locking the stitch with the reverse.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Been playing with some tuck in roll.Thanks for the complement.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

The bobbin may be free wheeling on you. That means that when you stop sewing the bobbin has enough momentum that it is spinning loosely rather that the hook pulling it at every stitch. Open the gauge plate or bobbin cover. Lightly pull the bobbin thread in a gentle jerking motion. If the bobbin spins more after you stop the tug you need to tighten the front screw on the tension spring that is on the side of the bobbin case. The other method is to put a peice of wax paper the size of the bobbin in the bottom of the case.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.