Need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help

howdy im working on a 87 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, ok now im wanting to know now if i can take a wire harness from a 87 half ton truck automatic and put it in my 87 3/4 ton 4x4 granny four speen, the wire harness has been all cut up on my truck and im parting a half ton out to fix my truck, plzs help me would be a plus, well god bless and be safe yall

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 AM

Last photo:

Sure, with the right wiring diagrams you can put anything in anything...... You ned to get the wiring diagrams for both the auto and manual 4X4 versions.

Should fit with little trouble, as you remove the harnesses from both trucks, take pictures of each and every connector before you disconnect it, use some blue painters tape to label each and every connector on both sides of the connection. You'll tend to believe you'll remember where that wire went, etc...... you WON'T, don't ask me how I know this....

As far as some areas you'll have to pay attention to.....

Clutch switch in the old harness, won't be in the new....
Auto tranny wires, in the new harness not in the old (just tape them up out of the way)
4X4 wiring etc.........
Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the engine side of the harness should be the same if both trucks have v8's and same gauge package (i.e. both idiot light or both gauges)
and if both have the quad head light front end..
the cab harness you'll have to check.. the clutch safety switch could be just a different ign switch and or a completely different harness..
the auto in a 87 isn't computer controlled so that not be a factor but may have electric speedo hook up..
the ecu would be different..
I'd think the bean counters at gm would've speced two different ign switches to deal with the clutch over 2 different cab harnesses..
but then again with or without power windows/locks could've been different harnesses..

I'd post this here The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - Powered by 67-72chevytrucks.com
in the electrical part of the forum.. as someone will have the g.m. manuals and know for sure.. if and what might be different..
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM

im changing the wire harness in the cab and out, i want mine to be elec window and locks, and im wating to change it cuse the guy had it befor me cut alot of wires cuse my fuel pump runs 24 7 when you turn the key on and not running, and some other weird stuff to
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

even if the new harness doesn't have elec windows/ locks they are very easy to wire in using a few relays (relays make it easy to work on later IMO)
Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
even if the new harness doesn't have elec windows/ locks they are very easy to wire in using a few relays (relays make it easy to work on later IMO)
well the new wire harness has the elec window and locks, my old one dose not, but my worry is 4x4 and non 4x4 and some other odd stuff was diff like my old wire harness has the middle speaker and the new one has it on the sides of the dash, other then that thats what i seen from that
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

If you label everything as it comes out, you can transplant the need wires, like the 4WD indicator lamp, shift on the fly etc..... to the new harness before you put it in...... it's really not that hard, if you have the diagram and label stuff so when it goes back in it's just a matter of verifing from the diagram and hooking it up.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.