need help with 28 ford doors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

need help with 28 ford doors

Are you there Henry? Ordered about every new part available from snyders, and started assembly today. Something isn't right. Seem to be missing some pieces/ rollers on the regulators don't really fit the lower window bracket/ nothing between the window and outside of the door frame? Do you have pictures/instructions for assembling all the window tracks/felt/stops, etc?
Anyone in San Antonio that can show me a finished door?
Thanks, don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I'm going to move this thread to General Rodding Tech.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
471A

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Model A doors

I am just completing a 29 Tudor, and formerly built a 30 Fordor. If possible, it would be helpful it you could circulate a digital photo of the installation so far, which will make it easier for readers to understand, and then assist with , there being "nothing between the window and the outside of the door frame". Absent a photo, I am wondering if you are missing the vertical support, which runs between the bottom of the interior door structure and the upper 1/4th of the interior door structure, and includes a "stop" on which the window sits when lowered. If that is what you are missing, Snyder does carry that piece under part no. A-335. Snyder's did not have that piece in stock for a period during 2008 but, at least as of spring 2009, had in back in stock. Second, contact MAFCA, the Model A Ford Club of America, through their website. That site, and the abundance of reprints MAFCA makes available, were very helpful to me in rebuilding the body components of the 29.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

28 ford tudor

Talked to snyders and got some answers....
1. My kit is missing two felt channels to hold the glass in place.
2. The channel that glues to the bottom of the door glass has a track. The regulator arm has a wheel (looks kind of like a pulley wheel) that doesn't turn and just slides on that track, but only in the lift position. Doesn't pull the window down, gravity is supposed to do that. The whole setup looks Mickey Mouse to me (I'm more familiar with the 50"s stuff), but according to Snyders, what I have is what it is.
3. I do have the upright support with the resting pad for the window when it is down. I was looking for a rubber seal between the outside of the glass and the outer door skin. Again Snyders says, there isn't one. With nothing there, It leaves a gap of nearly 1/4 inch. Nothing to keep the rain out. No wonder both doors were rusted along the bottom.

They are shipping the 2 pieces, and unless something doesn't sound right to you, I'll put it together with what I have.

Any comments about sealing/protecting the inside of the doors and where the drain holes are supposed to be? I replaced both the inner and outer piece at the bottom and currently have no drain holes.

Also considering a trip to the supply house to see if I can find a suitable rubber seal/weatherstrip to close up that outside gap. Any comments on that?

thanks for helping, don
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Last journal entry: 29 Ford Tudor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You will have to modify a wiper strip for the outside of the glass from a piece for another newer vehicle, they didn't deem it necessary back then. I have used either the fuzzy strips or the newer rubber flap type, either works. You will just have to attach them with #4 x 3/8" flat head screws to the outer sheet metal in the correct place. If you use black oxide screws they won't be seen.
The doors don't rust out just from the water getting in, it is when the drain holes get plugged and don't drain when the trouble starts.

Charles

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.