Need help on 350 late model block timing chain issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help on 350 late model block timing chain issue

Hello guys I have a some questions and hopefully someone can help me out. I bought a gm 350 one piece rear main seal block part NAL-10105123 from summit racing a few months ago. Is the same block used in the 1996 and newer vortec 350's by chance or not? I am putting it together next weekend and I have read about a issue with timing chains with oem roller cams etc such as the gear hitting the front of the block to hitting the cam retainer plate head bolts. What I am worried about is the timing chain cam gear hitting my cam retainer bolt heads. I have a jegs billet steel double roller timing chain for oem roller cam and it fits on my cam right etc. But when I put my cam retainer plate on the cam and just press the gear on I have about maybe 1/8 of an inch clearance or around there but not much. I don't have the bock on an engine stand yet. So what do I do if this happen's? Dont know what type of timing chain to get if the jegs one will not clear right. I would like to use a double roller good quality timing chain set that can get reved up to 6000 rpm with out no worries. I checked up a 1997 c1500 truck with a 5.7 engine at advance auto parts and they have a double roller chain set for around 52.00 is that a decent performance chain or not? I would hate give up my jegs billet steel double roller set. Hope someone can help shed me some light.
Thanks
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

I don't know if your talking about clearance between the top of the screw head to the back of the cam gear rearward face or the side of the bolt head to the gear hub, and I don't know if if I described that correctly, but either way, you might look at an alternate button head bolt beside the OEM type.
The one I plan to use is stainless and has both a shorter head height and a smaller dia. and seems to clear my Cloyes double roller gear(Set PN 9-3545X9) just fine. The 1/4-20 bolt started out as a 5/8" length but I trimmed it on a grinder to get what I thought was the best length(.550"). Some may advise against stainless as its not as strong as say moly, but I'm going to give it a try.
For what its worth.
ssmonty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01930 (Small).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	38206   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01931 (Small).JPG
Views:	109
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	38207  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Cool nice chain set looks almost just like the one I have.Yeah what I was talking about is the top of the bolt head and the back of the cam gear. I only have a little clearance but not much. The bolt head is up a little too high. The side of the head is not a problem its fine. I will maybe try your method. I have a local hardware store that has all kinds of different bolts I will see if I can size something up.If anyone else reads is there a difference between the oem roller cam timing chains and the ones made for the vortec l31 350 block? I thought it was all the same just they changed the bolt distances from side to side on the front of the block.
Thanks
Eric
Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I think you should contact Summit. they are usually more than happy to help.
If the block is based on the 880 Vortec casting then it will require a cloyes single roller "Vortec" timing set. These are avalible at Northern Auto Parts.
If any double roller set is used it`ll make contact with the block and ruin the engine rather quickly.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...tModelId=10001

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.