Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need help with a 351W build
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 05:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanx for the help guys. I have a brand new TKO waiting to go into it. Also thinking about putting 3.5s into the rearend.

Quote:
a electric water pump on the street won`t cut it. making that kind of power it`ll never keep it cool
Now that is one thing I hadn't actually considered. Why do you say it wouldn't be able to keep cool? I haven't looked into which particular pump to use, more like kicking the idea around. What would you recommend to help the cooling?

As for the combustion efficiency, I am hoping that a complete MSD ignition system (including the distributor) will help that out a lot.

Quote:
Considering your goal and the components you have mentioned, you may want to look into a custom cam.
Thats actually what I was doing with Lunati. One of the guys there had a couple ideas and he gave me the specs on a grind and recommended I research it to make sure it was what I needed. However cam grinds are one of those elusive pieces of engine technology to me. I have read a ton of information on it and I understand each number individually, however putting them all together and understanding the entire process is a bit daunting. Anyway, I will definitely check out the guy you recommended and do more asking around and etc.

I was thinking about stroking it, but I don't believe I will. Only thing I'll be doing is putting it .030 over. However if someone can tell me I can get 10mpg/ city with a stroker, I might consider that. I certainly like the torque aspect of it, however I'm just worried it will negatively impact my mileage requirements.

Quote:
If you are willing to spend up to 8K, I'd get an Aluminum headed crate motor
I have had quite a few friends that got crate motors, and I must say I've been very disappointed with most of them. Even the high dollar/ high quality ones are not quite what I have expected. If you can point me in the direction of some very, very well made crate motors I will take a look at them.

Again, thanx for the input! Any other comments are more than welcome-- fire away!

Nico