Need help with 37-41 Ford Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with 37-41 Ford Brakes

Hey Guys,

I need some help adjusting my front ford brakes on my T-Bucket. I had it on the road for the first time and the brakes pulled really hard to the right...wanting to send me into the ditch.

I've messed around with brakes on new cars, but to be honest I really don't know much. I hope someone can give me some pointers. Thanks for your help!

I've attached a photo if that's helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	19789  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Help with 37-41 Ford brakes

I bet you really mean 39-41 Ford, but whatever. I cant get to my Ford "Green Bible" 'till tomorrow, but I do remember specific instructions on which shoe to adjust first, I'll check it out and get back to you.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lyon
I bet you really mean 39-41 Ford, but whatever. I cant get to my Ford "Green Bible" 'till tomorrow, but I do remember specific instructions on which shoe to adjust first, I'll check it out and get back to you.

Great!! I'd really appreciate the help.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

37 and 38 Fords had mechanical brakes. Your picture is from a 39 or 40 . If it is a hard pull, I would suspect contamination on the Drum/shoes. Of course, I would jack the car to make sure that the brake shoes are contacting the drums on all four wheels when the brakes are applied(just in case a piston is frozen in a wheel cylinder). I then would pull the drum on the front of the side that is pulling and inspect, then go to the rear of that same side. If there is no signs of grease or brake fluid there, I would look on the other side for either frozen piston or totally out of adjustment.

Trees
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Are your rubber noses new?.......An old one may be collapsing.

Budget RVs
Old 03-26-2007, 07:30 PM

OK, if this is the first time on the road they must be new shoes. Adjusting new shoes is hard to explain but I'll try. First grind the end of each shoe so that it conforms to the drum. Don't worry if you grind too much, this keeps the end from grabbing. Now with the shoes and drums installed, look at the backing plate. you have 2 adjustment bolts for each shoe. The top is the eccentric adjuster and the bottom is the anchor. Loosen both anchor jam nuts and turn the anchor pin so that the high spots are toward each other. Have some one put pressure on the brake pedal, Medium pressure maybe 20 lbs or so. Turn the forward anchor pin in the direction like you were backing up until the bottom of the shoe touches the drum. tighten the jam nut. Now turn the rear anchor pin in the direction like you were going forward and tighten the jam nut. This gives you the initial shoe setting. Now to adjust the shoes. You no longer need pressure on the brake pedal. Turn the front eccentric , the upper bolt, in the direction as if you were going forward until the shoe drags and you can barely turn the drum. Then back off until the wheel is just free. Next turn the rear eccentric in the direction as if you were backing up until it drags and you can just turn the drum, then back off until it is just free. Do all 4 brakes like this and you should be ready to go.
If you don't understand this let me know and i'll try to explain better.
Jack
Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsEdge
OK, if this is the first time on the road they must be new shoes. Adjusting new shoes is hard to explain but I'll try. First grind the end of each shoe so that it conforms to the drum. Don't worry if you grind too much, this keeps the end from grabbing. Now with the shoes and drums installed, look at the backing plate. you have 2 adjustment bolts for each shoe. The top is the eccentric adjuster and the bottom is the anchor. Loosen both anchor jam nuts and turn the anchor pin so that the high spots are toward each other. Have some one put pressure on the brake pedal, Medium pressure maybe 20 lbs or so. Turn the forward anchor pin in the direction like you were backing up until the bottom of the shoe touches the drum. tighten the jam nut. Now turn the rear anchor pin in the direction like you were going forward and tighten the jam nut. This gives you the initial shoe setting. Now to adjust the shoes. You no longer need pressure on the brake pedal. Turn the front eccentric , the upper bolt, in the direction as if you were going forward until the shoe drags and you can barely turn the drum. Then back off until the wheel is just free. Next turn the rear eccentric in the direction as if you were backing up until it drags and you can just turn the drum, then back off until it is just free. Do all 4 brakes like this and you should be ready to go.
If you don't understand this let me know and i'll try to explain better.
Jack
Thanks Jack!! Actually this car used to be on the road. I bought it as a project with no motor/trans and just needing some basic assembly. The brakes were already on the car and "working" - until I hit the road. The front left drum turns much smoother than the front right when up on the jack stands.

Do the drums need to come off to make the mentioned adjustments? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get them off.

I understand most of your explanation, except when you say to adjust the bolt "in the direction as if you were going forward (or backing up)" Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Are your rubber noses new?.......An old one may be collapsing.
They are not new but appear to be in good condition, and not collapsing.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffh
They are not new but appear to be in good condition, and not collapsing.
I doubt if you would be able "see" this. Sometimes the interior of the hose fails. Small pieces flake off and plug the line. Do the brake linings move when the pedal is pushed? The best way would be to remove the hose and check for any blockage.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Since you don't know if the shoes were installed correctly. I would go through the complete process. Once the initial shoe setting is correct from then on to adjust you turn only the eccentric. Yes, the drum must be on. You can tell when the shoe touches the drum, the bolt or pin will be hard to turn. Keep turning the wheel every so often as you adjust, That way you can feel the drag also. When I say " the direction like you were going forward" I should have said "the direction the wheel would turn if you were going forward." And the same for backing up, " the direction the wheel would turn if you were backing up" Hey, it made sense last night. It's easy for me to do but hard to explain. If you can get the drums off, grind the ends of the shoes like I said. I have seen a wheel lock up because the end of the shoe didn't conform to the drum. When you grind it you will have a tapered edge instead of a straight cut.
Jack

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.