Need Help - 67 Camaro Tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need Help - 67 Camaro Tranny

I have a 67rs/ss350 convert camaro with an automatic 350 tranny in it. It is a really sharp car, mild cam, nice sound, not a racer just great cruiser. I just dropped second gear into the pan over the weekend. Looking to upgrade the trans, so I have an overdrive gear.....200r4 perhaps, so i can travel long didstance withthe car. First will the 200 bolt right in with no mod except the crossmeber. Bowtie Overdrives from Calif. sells a new cross member to do this. Does anybody have experience with Bowtie or any recommendations on companies etc. I am looking for the easiest way as I am not a real tranny guy. Local shop wants 1100 to rebuild the 350 and not interested in doing the switch. Looking for information.......Thanks Paul

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The 200R4 will bolt up to the engine w/o a problem. You will have to move the crossmember back because the trans mount is 5-6" further back on the 200R4. I'm going to do this on my '72 El Camino, but I've got a frame to work with. I'm not familiar with Camaros.

You will also have to do some wiring for the overdrive to lock up. I bought a TCI kit for this. There should also be several threads in the archives about the wiring. It's not involved...even for us transmission-challenged types.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:51 PM

thanks for the info, I will need to get the new crossmember from Bowtir as I run out of room on the camaro frame. Where did you get the 200r4 from local/mailorder
Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I bought it locally out of a Monte Carlo SS for $175.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM

First time in forums here as just signed up today and been looking around and surprised at the mention of the 200R4 as a conversion model. Don't know many people that were very found of this trans. and didn't know many were still around. Will keep checking back here to see how it goes, let me know how satisfied you are with this. Most of my experience in change overs has been with the 700R4, much stronger and more available parts.

Jack
Old 04-17-2006, 11:15 AM

I am interested in changing out my th350 for a 200r4 to get the overdrive gear and I have been told it will bolt up to a 307 sbc and that it matches the size of the th350. I've also been told that the 200r4 is a lousy tranny unless it is the 200r4pro which is the stonger slushbox. I have not been told that parts are hard to find or that the parts are any more expensive than the th350 or 700r4. The 200r4 does not seem to be very popular with the street rod and hotrod crowds, but not sure why. So as a result, I have not made any decisions yet. My biggest problem is the floor hump is already large and a 700r4 would make the hump too large to manage. That is why the 200r4 is so attractive.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.