Need Help with 700r4 No 4th Gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need Help with 700r4 No 4th Gear

Hi Guys,
I have installed a 700r4 in a 63 Impala that I have built. When I put it in it was supposed to have been rebuilt. When I drove it reverse would shudder and I had no 4th gear or lockup. I pulled the tranny out and found that the pump had some bad wear on it. I decided to go ahead and replace the pump and go through the complete tranny. I replaced averything in it, installed the 9 disc 3-4 plates. Installed a Fairbanks reprogramming kit and every trick that I could find to improve the life of this 700. I got it back in the car and had a great reverse, shifted from 1-2 nice and hard, and also 2-3 but I still did not have 4th. I do get a lockup now so I know that I am getting pressure to the 4th gear valve, but I dont get 4th gear. I really feel that it is in the 4th gear servo but I cannot figure out what to do about it. I have installed a corvette 2nd gear servo and a billet 4th gear servo and cover from Bowtie Overdrives. I don't think that the piston is able to push the pin far enough on the band. The band has been replaced with a new wide band and like I said above 2nd gear works great. Can anyone please help me with this one????
I'm sorry it was so long I just wanted to be sure I had everything that you might ask included.
Before you aks the T.V. cable has been checked, rechecked and checked again with no difference.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson63
Hi Guys,
I have installed a 700r4 in a 63 Impala that I have built. When I put it in it was supposed to have been rebuilt. When I drove it reverse would shudder and I had no 4th gear or lockup. I pulled the tranny out and found that the pump had some bad wear on it. I decided to go ahead and replace the pump and go through the complete tranny. I replaced averything in it, installed the 9 disc 3-4 plates. Installed a Fairbanks reprogramming kit and every trick that I could find to improve the life of this 700. I got it back in the car and had a great reverse, shifted from 1-2 nice and hard, and also 2-3 but I still did not have 4th. I do get a lockup now so I know that I am getting pressure to the 4th gear valve, but I dont get 4th gear. I really feel that it is in the 4th gear servo but I cannot figure out what to do about it. I have installed a corvette 2nd gear servo and a billet 4th gear servo and cover from Bowtie Overdrives. I don't think that the piston is able to push the pin far enough on the band. The band has been replaced with a new wide band and like I said above 2nd gear works great. Can anyone please help me with this one????
I'm sorry it was so long I just wanted to be sure I had everything that you might ask included.
Before you aks the T.V. cable has been checked, rechecked and checked again with no difference.
if the servo is properly setup the apply pin will not reach the band for OD....... I'd recheck the setup ( perhaps you already did ).

the 2-4 servo is a multistage unit. Not setup correctly and it will not function right.

how far in can you push the servo cover ? about .125 is a good place to start.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:26 PM

I have the same problem with a 700R4 in a Suburban. I've been told to check fluid pressures in each gear. I tried replacing the servos with originals also didn't have fourth( I'm using Superior 2-4 Super Servos) I may have more travel in the servo cover than 1/8". I didn't drive the vehicle before I pulled the trans, it may not have had fourth after the last rebuild. Owner said it only gone 12,000 miles on rebuild and then sat for a year. Also it had no external oil cooler, does now.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

700 no 4th

with what you have replaced so far, I would replace the entire valve body it is not uncommon to have a no 4th condition.unless you find a cut sealing ring on the 4th servo piston .the valve body would be my next step, if the pin was too short 2nd would slide 2-3 would be unaffected and 4th would apply .lock up is feed from 2nd gear oil but can be made to apply at different times. 2nd 3rd and after 4th gear shift is made.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
if the servo is properly setup the apply pin will not reach the band for OD....... I'd recheck the setup ( perhaps you already did ).

the 2-4 servo is a multistage unit. Not setup correctly and it will not function right.

how far in can you push the servo cover ? about .125 is a good place to start.
It is around 1/8" or less. i have even tried installing a washer in the pin beteween the "E" clip and the 4th servo piston with no luck. Today I changed the piston to a new Sunnax dual piston OD servo and it did not make difference. Is there a port that I can pressurize to test the 4th gear piston and see if it is applyind the band? I checked the drain hole but it applys pressure to the 2nd gear only.

Airworld is there any particular thing in the valve body that could be causing this before I replace the body itself? I have checked all of the valves to be sure there is not one stiching and could not find any problems.

Another question that might or might not have anything to do with this is when I took the tranny apart there was a checkball and cup in the housing under the aux valve body. None of the paperwork that I have or have found references this ball just the one in the aux body itself. i did leave it out could this be my problem? What does the aux body do and do I need to install this checkball?

Thanks again for any help
Old 10-01-2006, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

the ball under the aux valve body slows the apply oil in reverse, for smooth apply gm would call this a garage shift. the aux valve body is also part of garage shift for forward apply and contains a valve called reverse abuse valve this valve will not permit instant reverse engagement when you attempt to rock the truck out of a stuck spot(mud, snow) it will again slow reverse apply. the forward drum has been orifice larger for forward apply and reverse drum has been changed with an air bleed system and larger orifice in stator shaft.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:35 PM

Hi guys,
I Still need help with this problem. Here is a liitle more info that might help. I took the valve body back apart to check and be sure that the 3-4 relay valve was installed correctly and everything looked fine. I double checked all of the valve to be sure they move freely and once again everything looks good. I did find the 4th clutch apply port in the case and pressurized it with air to be sure that the band was applying correctly and it looks good. I put it all back together and installed a pressure gauge in the 3rd accumulator and the 4th clutch apply port next to the servo. I ran the car wth the wheels off the ground through all of the gears and watched the gauges. when it hits 3rd gear I get pressure in the 3rd gear port and then it releases but I never got any pressure on the gauge in the 4th gear port. I do get a 4th gear lock-up on the converter but for some reason I am not getting any pressure to the 4th gear servo. If anyone has anything that I can check please let me know, I feel like I have checked everything that I can think of but I know that there is just some little small something that I have overlooked that is causing me to pull out what little bit of hair that I have left. Please help me I'm stumped!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.