Need help with 71 Chevy Nova - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with 71 Chevy Nova

Im a beginner hot rodder and for my first hot rod Ive decided to do a 71 Nova because its my favorite car but Ive run in to trouble. I want to drop a 496 ci engine in it with a dual carb blower and I found a blower kit and carbs but I dont know if they are compatible. The blower kit is a BBC INT 8.71 3V 1/2 pitch and the carbs are Holley 4150 street 850 cfm. Also I cant even find a lighter drivetrain. Im so confused please help

Last edited by novafreak6901; 09-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you do realise, that engine combo is $13k easy.. if this is truely your first hotrod... a 350 w/ 4bbl carb will propel that car along quite nicely.. and if you want to try your hand at supercharging, you can put a low boost on a 144 blower on a stock 350 with 8.5:1 or less compression, and end up with ~400 hp in good tune
Old 09-22-2010, 03:43 PM

hey thanks where do you reccomend I buy the carb and blower
Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreak6901
hey thanks where do you reccomend I buy the carb and blower
If your going to actually do it... BDS for the blower; BDS, Holley, Pro Systems, or Barry Grant for the blower specific carbs.

You have a steep learning curve in front of you, do your homework and do a lot of searches on this and other forums. Don't just expect someone to hand you all the answers, learn enough to ask intelligent questions.

What are you asking when you say "I can't even find a lighter drivetrain"?? Lighter duty driveline parts are the last thing you want with an engine like that.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 PM

oh I didnt know I thought maybe they made one to make the car lighter but thanks for all the help. Also should I put in a 12 bolt rear end or stick with the 10 bolt thats in it? And is there a way to get that leather stuff off the top and make it a hard top? Its like leather padding and its beat up. If not I will have somebody redo it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM
More for Less Racer

Stock rear is the small 8.2" 10-bolt, that motor will eat it, you will want a full tilt 12-bolt, Dana 60 swap, or 9" Ford swap to handle the power. Trans will need to be a well built race Turbo 400.

Top is a vinyl top, grained pattern vinyl with a thin padding glued to the metal. Removing it will make it a hard top, it will need complete bodywork under where the vinyl is as the factory doesn't do any body prep there when a vinyl top is installed, there will likely not even be any paint under most of it, and a lot of surface rust. It will take a body shop, or someone with bodywork skills to make it look good enough to paint. Auto Upholstery shops can also install a new vinyl top if you want it to be good as new, will be cheaper and less work than tearing it off and painting unless you can do the body and paint work yourself.

Don't take this the wrong way, but....
Sounds like you are young and inexperienced, don't get "eyes bigger than your stomach" and start something you can't finish, your questions indicate a lack of enough knowledge to actual get a Blown BBC and proper driveline together in the car. Maybe think smaller, or find a local mentor who can guide you, you have to learn to walk before you can run with the big dogs.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM

hey thank for the help, I have a friend that does body work and he can do it for me. Dont get me wrong its a BIG project but Im good with my hands and learn quickly so I think I handle it. If not Ive got mechanic friends who can help but i want to do this by myself, they are a last resort. I was already gonna put in a 12 bolt but I wanted another opinion to make sure it wouldnt be a waste of money. Also Im not goin with the 496, Im goin with matt167s idea but its a performance 350 with a 10.0 comp ratio and cast iron high performance aftermarket heads. Ive really been doin my homework on this car. The only thing giving me problems is turning it from key start to switch start. If I cant give it a starter switch thats fine but if I can I will. But like I said this is no small task and thanks for the help.

Last edited by novafreak6901; 09-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.