need help on a 72 Vette/removing front clip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help on a 72 Vette/removing front clip

I have done some research and know the glue is on the hood surround near the windshield, on the cowl near the rear of the door, and at the front of the cowl. Oh, and the bottom of the fender.

I have a few questions about this...

1) it seems like I should remove the fender apron to get better access to the front of the cowl being the engine is in the car, or should I? And if not, seems like it would come off nice by leaving the apron, rad support, and frame horns on to provide natural bracing as it sits off the car.

2) I have learned that there should be 43" from the rear bolt on the hood hinge to the tip of the hood surround in order to get good or decent gaps. I also wouldn't think that's exact so on mock up I will probably have them loose and mark it where the aprons need to be glued to the clip after getting the hood on and nice gaps. Any thoughts on this? And should I glue the aprons on before installing the clip or after?

I have a very rough idea on how to do this but these cars are so different that I'd like to gain some confidence in hearing about this from experienced Vette tech. I may go visit a couple of Vette sites and put out some feelers on there too. Even though I'm going on vacation I can relay this info back to the guys. Any advice or tips appreciated....and no I'm not gonna make some video acting like I'm the Vettespert, I'll be sure to note I'm pretty clueless on these cars and give you a shout on the video, if you care.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

Put the drugs down and step away from the vehicle, now. There is no plausible reason to take the nose off a '72 Vette except serious impact damage. WTF are you doing and WTF are you doing it?

"I have done some research and know the glue is on the hood surround near the windshield, on the cowl near the rear of the door, and at the front of the cowl. Oh, and the bottom of the fender."

Oh and around the lower fender vents and oh, for the bonding strips. Oh while we're at it the glue is much stronger than the panels on either side, you will be breaking panels trying to remove them.

"1) it seems like I should remove the fender apron to get better access to the front of the cowl being the engine is in the car..."

Yep, if you're insane. The aprons hold all the pieces of the nose in alignment, bloody nightmare to refit if you remove them.

"I have a very rough idea on how to do this but these cars are so different that I'd like to gain some confidence in hearing about this from experienced Vette tech."

You're correct, they were built like no other car out there. ALL of the parts must be aligned in 3 dimensional space before the glue sets. ALL of the parts affect ALL of the other parts. There is no adjustment after the glue sets.

Step away from the car and don't even start this.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Hmmm.

I have a similar project to the o.p.'s, the front had to come off partly due to enough minor damage to warrant replacing it with a better one, and partly due to that it was coming apart anyway. The glue was not stronger than the panels, at least in my case...it all peeled apart the rest of the way pretty easy. So it had to be done.

Regarding install:

Watching a front end going back on at a 'Vette shop (once, so I'm not the expert), it seems to me: 1. Yep, that glue sets and you're screwed if you didn't do it right 2. It's at-least a two-man job and preferrably more, working fast and having a clue as to what you're doing 3. There has to be blocks, alignment holes for Clecos, straight edges to check for level plane between panels and whatever else in place to make sure it goes down right, also clamps and more clamps. Note also that wherever glue was going to go, things needed to be ground down for clean adhesion and also to give some room for the new glue which is kinda thick stuff.

I would get the thing mocked up straight with all your measurements and gaps good, drill some Cleco holes, set up whatever else to hold things straight, and plan on doing a few actual practice runs w/ a volunteer crew of buddies, and practice also with bonding just straight pieces of fiberglass or wood together to get a feeling for how the glue works, and to check is it setting strong enough.

Edit: to address the original question, again in my case it all just came right off the firewall area but the rest I left together on both my original and replacement clip. If you needed pics of it apart to see where the firewall bonding areas are, I could provide.

Last edited by kso; 07-31-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yeah, I know about lining it up and screwing it in and I also hear you can move it around with a jack under the support and a tie down from the cowl to push it in or move it out. I have plenty of pics but thanks for your response. So it looks like I'll leave the apron in and readjust the one that's off the mark when the clip is off the car. did you have decent access w/ the engine in or out?

so i guess my next question is, do have a measurement of 43" from the middle of your rear hood hinge bolt to the front edge of your hood surround on each side?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

In my case, what I have and what I've seen is with the engine out so I couldn't say how it'd be with it in.

Re: the 43", I'll have to check when I get a chance. Maybe later today.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

thanks man. I think the boss wants to take the engine out anyways.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.