Need help with adjusting height sensing prop valve - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need help with adjusting height sensing prop valve

New here - need some advice. Had to replace the HSPV, but the rear brakes are still grabbing. How do I adjust this thing? What is the "sane" procedure?

Found out (on wet pavement no less) that it aint good to not have this working right...

1984 GMC 3/4 ton High Sierra.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

GM has a tool for that. It slips on the shaft of the valve after you remove the actuating lever.I believe you need the black one (there are 3 colors, each for a different application ) Part number 14061395.
There is a "D" shaped hole in it that slides over the shaft of the valve under the actuactor arm, then it has a tang the posisitions the valve by lining up into the lower bolthole in the valve. It then calls for the actuator arm to be reinstalled and the tang cut off.
This is all fine but good luck finding a chevrolet parts guy who has a clue.
If they are too active pull the arm off and move the valve clockwise one tooth at a time untill desired operation.
looking at the valve, with your back to the driveshaft, turning valve clockwise and reassembling the arm to the valve decreases application pressure to the rear (decreasing pontential locking of brakes) . turning it counterclockwise and re-attaching arm increases pressure to rears (makes them lock up easier)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 PM

latech,

OK, I turned it clockwise - inch by inch, retesting each time - 3 full rotations - and no difference. Went so far each time in the adjustment and it feels like there is a spring in there that it "flips" over. When it flips over have I gone too far and is it just resetting? I am massively confused at this point.

This is a new part I got from Vintage parts, but didn't come with the tool.

Here is some more info, in case I am barking up the wrong tree: when the brakes are cold the back ones grab and skid - concrete,ashphalt, everything. When they heat up they dont grab so much, but it can still throw you through the windshield if you dont watch it.

I Just did a couple of panic brakes at 30mph and the fronts are grabbing - nose of the pickup dives, no skidding of brakes anywhere. BUT - apply the brakes normally and and the backs grab hard, but dont skid unless they are cold.

Frustrated? Oh yeah...what is going on here? Am I adjusting this thing too much, not ennough, or is it something else? I am just sliding under there and adjusting it clockwise -not putting the axle off the ground or anything to get a no-load type condition. Am I doing this right so far?

BTW, no kidding on getting anyone who knows about the tool.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I meant to say turn it to the next Notch or spline posisition,not turn it a whole turn. whoops my bad
I dont know about a reset condition on that valve,sounds like it goes so far and starts over like you are thinking.
At this point i would look at the rear brakes.
Check for
1 fluid leaking/contamination of shoe material
2 shoes installed correctley short shoe in front long shoe in rear (primary-secondary)
3 Broken hardware /return spring
4 look at RPO list For braking option and check for correct size wheel cylinders. brake options are listed on the Regular Production Option list
It is a sticker probably on the glovebox. It will have a bunch of letters and numbers grouped together on it. Brakes have the option starting with a "J"
Like JB5 or JB8 and such. check your brakes and see if there is a problem. If you cant figure out wheel cylinder size post the RPO for the brakes and I will look into it for you. check em out. Let me know.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.