need help bad with wiring please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
hddave1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ky
Posts: 263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need help bad with wiring please

hey guys.. i got problems trying to wire my 302v8..here is what the problem is, the ignition coil is getting so hot that you cant touch it and the red pos. and green tach wires are melting...here is what i got..STARTER RELAY(mounts on the passenger side fender) has a wire that is hot only with the key in the start position, has no power in the run position(runs the starter)...
... ok..COIL .. has 2 wires 1 green (tach) and 1 red(pos+) the green is tied to the green on the ignition module.. the red wire is tied to the white wire on the module and also tied to a hot(that is hot in start and run)...
.. IGNITION MODULE.. the red wire is tied to a hot (only hot in run no power in start) ... with it hooked up the way it is, i can turn the key to start and the engine cranks and i have spark from the sparkplugs ( weak looking spark but there is spark) ... i am working on a 85 ranger that i put a 80's year 302... what did i do wrong and how should i wire the engine..guys i have 2 full days at this and im lost...cant figure why the coil is getting so hot...

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,803
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 442 Times in 379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
hey guys.. i got problems trying to wire my 302v8..here is what the problem is, the ignition coil is getting so hot that you cant touch it and the red pos. and green tach wires are melting...here is what i got..STARTER RELAY(mounts on the passenger side fender) has a wire that is hot only with the key in the start position, has no power in the run position(runs the starter)...
... ok..COIL .. has 2 wires 1 green (tach) and 1 red(pos+) the green is tied to the green on the ignition module.. the red wire is tied to the white wire on the module and also tied to a hot(that is hot in start and run)...
.. IGNITION MODULE.. the red wire is tied to a hot (only hot in run no power in start) ... with it hooked up the way it is, i can turn the key to start and the engine cranks and i have spark from the sparkplugs ( weak looking spark but there is spark) ... i am working on a 85 ranger that i put a 80's year 302... what did i do wrong and how should i wire the engine..guys i have 2 full days at this and im lost...cant figure why the coil is getting so hot...
I have a schematic for the 1980's Ford Ignition Module but I know these changed somewhere in the middish 1980's so if this exactly fits yours I don't know. You will see that all power to the coil goes through a ballast resistor start and run. This probably means the coil runs on 9 rather than 12 volts. See the attached file.


Bogie
Attached Files
File Type: doc ~$80's Ford Ign Module Schematic.doc (31.0 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
hddave1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ky
Posts: 263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok i can buy that...now im gonna assume the 85 ranger did not have a ballest..so where can i get one and where does it go...this thing is kicking my but and i can get it running till i get past this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 AM
hddave1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ky
Posts: 263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone???..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 AM
delawarebill's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: delaware
Posts: 1,267
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 67 Times in 67 Posts
balllast resistor

go to any auto parts, they carry them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
hddave1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ky
Posts: 263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok i can get a univeral ballest resistor at a parts store...can you tell me how i wire the thing up...also does the red wire from the round coil get its power from the run only or does it have power in the start and run...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,803
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 442 Times in 379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
ok i can buy that...now im gonna assume the 85 ranger did not have a ballest..so where can i get one and where does it go...this thing is kicking my but and i can get it running till i get past this..
It's an external resistor, you should be able to get one at the Ford store and probably better equipped independant parts stores. Here's diagram of how it wires.

Bogie
Attached Files
File Type: doc 1980's Ford Ballast Resistor Schematic.doc (206.0 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
hddave1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ky
Posts: 263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
I have a schematic for the 1980's Ford Ignition Module but I know these changed somewhere in the middish 1980's so if this exactly fits yours I don't know. You will see that all power to the coil goes through a ballast resistor start and run. This probably means the coil runs on 9 rather than 12 volts. See the attached file.


Bogie
wired it up with a ballest resistor like you showed me and it started right up. coil dont get hot..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,803
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 442 Times in 379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
wired it up with a ballest resistor like you showed me and it started right up. coil dont get hot..thanks
Good deal, glad it's working.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2011, 06:31 AM
delawarebill's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: delaware
Posts: 1,267
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 67 Times in 67 Posts
ballast resistor

dave good... u were sending 12v to the coil when it wanted something lower.. i burned out my pertronix by puttnig in a zero resistance coil... my old coil have about 2 ohms.. Oh well $80 bucks down the drain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wiring fordhotrod Electrical 0 10-02-2009 08:18 PM
EZ wiring - back up light wiring copdwg Electrical 3 06-07-2008 06:42 PM
Need wiring help! truckcat Electrical 3 04-23-2006 04:37 PM
s10 wiring krausman Electrical 3 04-08-2003 12:13 PM
rs wiring 67rscamaro Electrical 2 02-18-2003 05:59 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.