need help bad with wiring please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help bad with wiring please

hey guys.. i got problems trying to wire my 302v8..here is what the problem is, the ignition coil is getting so hot that you cant touch it and the red pos. and green tach wires are melting...here is what i got..STARTER RELAY(mounts on the passenger side fender) has a wire that is hot only with the key in the start position, has no power in the run position(runs the starter)...
... ok..COIL .. has 2 wires 1 green (tach) and 1 red(pos+) the green is tied to the green on the ignition module.. the red wire is tied to the white wire on the module and also tied to a hot(that is hot in start and run)...
.. IGNITION MODULE.. the red wire is tied to a hot (only hot in run no power in start) ... with it hooked up the way it is, i can turn the key to start and the engine cranks and i have spark from the sparkplugs ( weak looking spark but there is spark) ... i am working on a 85 ranger that i put a 80's year 302... what did i do wrong and how should i wire the engine..guys i have 2 full days at this and im lost...cant figure why the coil is getting so hot...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
hey guys.. i got problems trying to wire my 302v8..here is what the problem is, the ignition coil is getting so hot that you cant touch it and the red pos. and green tach wires are melting...here is what i got..STARTER RELAY(mounts on the passenger side fender) has a wire that is hot only with the key in the start position, has no power in the run position(runs the starter)...
... ok..COIL .. has 2 wires 1 green (tach) and 1 red(pos+) the green is tied to the green on the ignition module.. the red wire is tied to the white wire on the module and also tied to a hot(that is hot in start and run)...
.. IGNITION MODULE.. the red wire is tied to a hot (only hot in run no power in start) ... with it hooked up the way it is, i can turn the key to start and the engine cranks and i have spark from the sparkplugs ( weak looking spark but there is spark) ... i am working on a 85 ranger that i put a 80's year 302... what did i do wrong and how should i wire the engine..guys i have 2 full days at this and im lost...cant figure why the coil is getting so hot...
I have a schematic for the 1980's Ford Ignition Module but I know these changed somewhere in the middish 1980's so if this exactly fits yours I don't know. You will see that all power to the coil goes through a ballast resistor start and run. This probably means the coil runs on 9 rather than 12 volts. See the attached file.

Bogie
Attached Files
File Type: doc ~$80's Ford Ign Module Schematic.doc (31.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

ok i can buy that...now im gonna assume the 85 ranger did not have a ballest..so where can i get one and where does it go...this thing is kicking my but and i can get it running till i get past this..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

anyone???..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

balllast resistor

go to any auto parts, they carry them..
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

ok i can get a univeral ballest resistor at a parts store...can you tell me how i wire the thing up...also does the red wire from the round coil get its power from the run only or does it have power in the start and run...thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
ok i can buy that...now im gonna assume the 85 ranger did not have a ballest..so where can i get one and where does it go...this thing is kicking my but and i can get it running till i get past this..
It's an external resistor, you should be able to get one at the Ford store and probably better equipped independant parts stores. Here's diagram of how it wires.

Bogie
Attached Files
File Type: doc 1980's Ford Ballast Resistor Schematic.doc (206.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
I have a schematic for the 1980's Ford Ignition Module but I know these changed somewhere in the middish 1980's so if this exactly fits yours I don't know. You will see that all power to the coil goes through a ballast resistor start and run. This probably means the coil runs on 9 rather than 12 volts. See the attached file.

Bogie
wired it up with a ballest resistor like you showed me and it started right up. coil dont get hot..thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
wired it up with a ballest resistor like you showed me and it started right up. coil dont get hot..thanks
Good deal, glad it's working.

Bogie
Old 03-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

ballast resistor

dave good... u were sending 12v to the coil when it wanted something lower.. i burned out my pertronix by puttnig in a zero resistance coil... my old coil have about 2 ohms.. Oh well $80 bucks down the drain...

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.