Need help with brakes, I dont know what I'm doing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Need help with brakes, I dont know what I'm doing

So my brothers cars brakes are acting up....a lotta times they dont work at all and if they do only do brake slowly. I checked his master cylinders, it had 2. A big and a small one. The small one was all outta fluid so I filled it up. There is a round piece of rubber floating in it, is this normal? Car is a 90's Toyota Corolla. What could be the problem?

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 09:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If your out of fluid you must have a leak. Pump the brakes and look for the leak.

Be carefull with brake fluid it can damage paint!

Bad master or booster ? or something else
Old 10-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

Nightfire
The master cylinder is bad, you need to either, rebuild or replace it. Then you need to bleed the brake system
Good luck
30dee
Old 10-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Allright guys, thanks. I really dont want to do this but I guess I'l have to? Whats the little round rubber floating in the rear master cylinder? Is it a seal? If so, where is the fluid going...? into the booster? And pardon the ignorant question, whats a booster? I never worked on a new car with dual MC's...

Mike
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

nightfire, a booster is that large round thing behind the MC, it uses engine vaccum to give you your power assist, look to see if there is any paint removed from around where the mc bolts to it. i am almost embarrased to type this but when adding power brakes to my ford i forgot to put the seals in the MC and bolted it up and boy did I have a mess of fluid comming out of that area. hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Allright guys, thanks. I really dont want to do this but I guess I'l have to? Whats the little round rubber floating in the rear master cylinder? Is it a seal? If so, where is the fluid going...? into the booster? And pardon the ignorant question, whats a booster? I never worked on a new car with dual MC's...

Mike
Dual Master Cylinders? or one M/C with dual chambers?

If there are indeed 2 cylinders, then I suspect that one of them (probably the one mounted closest to the LH side) is for a hydraulic clutch. There will be no booster behind a clutch M/C.

Be sure to use the approved fluid (probably DOT-3 brake fluid) ... but check the owner's manual or have someone check a shop manual to verify.

It's really surprising how many cylinders I have come across that people have put ATF, PSF, and even MOTOR OIL in them ... which really screws them up.

What you see floating in the fluid is likely part of the gasket from the cylinder cap ... as I doubt anything very large could be "coming back up".

If this lid gasket is damaged or missing, be sure to replace it, as brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs atmospheric moisture).

Last edited by 66GMC; 10-30-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Proportioning valve

Thought I might add this too...
(I'm not a mechanic, but this is what I believe to be true...)

You had said something about braking slowly when it does work. If the BRAKE master cylinder is a dual-compartment (has 2 fluid lines coming out of it) that means that it should also have a proportioning valve, usually mounted to the frame at the end of those two fluid lines.

It's possible that this valve may have been "tripped" and needs to be re-set.
When this valve gets "tripped" it diverts all fluid to the side that is able to maintain pressure. There is usually a pin (~= 1/8" dia) that protrudes from a fitting when tripped. Simply push that back in and pump SLOWLY when bleeding the brakes.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Fist, I think one of the replies is correct in saying that the floating item was part of a gasket or seal.

If you haven't, take a look at the backside of each wheel/tire to see if one shows to be wet from brake fluid. Check the flex lines to the wheels.
As stated above look at the area behind and below where the cylinder mounts to see if brake fluid has been dripping down there.

Make sure that (ONLY) the proper brake fluid was put in the system. No matter what someone says There are NO substitutes. If anything else was put in the cylinder the system will have to be completely flushed and all cylinders replaced or rebuilt.

Most likely there is a leak somewhere that can be easily repaired, If you don't know anything about brakes I would suggest having a mechanic repair it. Your safety is worth more than the bucks you would save attempting to do it without proper knowledge.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

the one master cyl that you are referring to is the clutch master, the piece of rubber floating in it is supposed to be there, it is a little rubber cup. this master only holds very little fluid, and the cup floats on top. never put fluid inside the cup. as far as the brake problems, try all the things the guys on hear have suggested. good luck
Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Me...I like having brakes on my car. Does the brake pedal feel spongy when you apply the brakes, assuming you now have fluid in the master cylinder? Or, sitting in the driveway and you apply the brakes, does the pedal slowly go to the floor? Or, sometimes when your driving, do you put on the brakes only to have it go right to the floor? If so, don't mess around with this. If you don't know what you're doing go to someone who does. A brake job is cheaper than an ambulance ride to the hospital or possibly a lawsuit for hurting someone else! Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Sorry for the late reply. It had 2 different MC's, not one with 2 compartments. One turned out to be the hydraulic clutch MC, thanks 66GMC. We decided to rather have it fixed professionally then attempt it ourselves, so it's now in the brake shop. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated

Mike
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01 PM

Mike-
Smart move takin' it to a pro-sometimes no matter how bad you want to do it yourself,you're better off going to someone who knows what's going on with the problem.Congratulations on a good call.
When you pick it up,ask to see the old parts and what was wrong.That way you'll get a little more knowledge too.

George

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.