need help on budget black paintjob - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need help on budget black paintjob

I'm looking to respray my car a panel at a time *black* & was looking at the tcp ss urethane gloss black, do any of you have much experience with this paint or am I better off going with the ultra flow urethane bc/cc. I'm looking to have the paint hold up & look nice for 2-3 years maybe? I've had a previous car done at maaco when I was younger that was a single stage, for the first 4 months the paint looked amazing for a single stage, however it started to fade horribly. I have a gun, comrpessor just stuck on deciding which route to go

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

How rough is the body? If the car isn't real nice and you dont plan on doing a lot of body work I would go single stage.If paint is desent then I maybe would do base clear. Any good urathane single stage preped right should give you 5 yrs.If you had a maaco done years ago it was most likly a striaght enamel. I had slivers in that fade out in a year.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Good Ol' Maaco paint job, back in the day in these parts of the woods they were heating enamel on a hotplate so they didnt need to use reducer. Fast way to fail.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've had really good luck with Nason SS ,solid colors only, 5yrs easy ,10 if you take care of them...it sprays well too and its under 150.00 but whatever you use get a SS urathane for a newb its thr easiest to use and if you mess something up it wont break the bank...I cant tell you how many times I see First timer guys spending a grand or more on BB/CC and having it look like crap and how upset they get when they see one of my 1,000.00 Nason jobs..usually the first thing they say is How much clear is on that??? when done right you cant tell a solid color SS from a BC?CC unless you sand it.Prospray has a nice SS too and its much better as far as the quality and ease of spraying..The price resonable but I have to order it and thats a PITA,,,I'll put it this way,I'm going to use Nason black on my old plymouth
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

I suppose this is my first *real car paintjob*. I've done rustoleum out of a hvlp once about 6 years ago, it turned out alright, I wasn't really to pleased with the gloss. As for the condition of the body it's in good shape, about 4 tiny dings in the rear, I can do the bodywork no problem.

My previous car when i was 17 (23 now) that I brought to maaco I did the body work myself & ended up using a highbuild & self etching primer out of the can that I purchased from autozone, I then used a cheap flat black paint around the whole car & dropped it off to maaco. No bleed through from the body work & Never had chipping problems for the 1 1/4 years I've owned it after being painted.

I'm curious as to whether I need to seal my car before spraying it. and as for the dings the are so small so I was wondering if putty would suffice as I'm trying to keep cost down but have the car look pretty good for the next couple years and not fade like my previous job at maaco (it was the second cheapest option I forgot which)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

[IMG][/IMG]

This was around 2 months after maaco
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

[IMG][/IMG]

& this is what I plan on painting
Old 06-09-2012, 01:24 PM
OLDFART952

dude macco is a rip off !!!

ok make me ill how much did macco charge ya ???? i've watched them paint its a joke. warn guys to stay away.i've been a painter 36 yrs where do ya live. i help out guys. it blows to get charge thousands and its a **** job.if your not to fall away we'll talk KKKKKK ? pops
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

SPI is coming out with black in both base coat and single stage, that would be my choice of material.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've used SPI SSblack and its awsome paint but they stopped making it...Its good to hear about them getting it back,lord knows I've personally asked Barry a hundred times to start making it..he makes a hellava nice red too..
very good news...
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM
OLDFART952

SICK DUDE, GOODLUCK !!! SEE YA
Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

All I can say, is that I took my daughter's 2001 Firebird (former total Loss with a Salvage Title) to Maaco (4 years ago) and we had them completely paint the car the original "burnt orange". Honestly, the car looked GREAT! They sprayed a BC/CC SS DuPont, entry-level paint, and the $750 price tag didn't hurt my pocket book NOR my pride (of not shooting it myself) one bit! HA! HA! And I'm a recovering-perfectionist! She just recently sold the car and the only paint chips were on the front bumper due to rocks, birds, and normal wear and tear from driving.

I also shot a SS Black (on my 2nd daughter's thrashed '97 Eclipse) that I bought from our own Wholesale Auto Paint jobber and it was an off brand of .....not Wanda....Urethane......something or other and it turned out great. Can't recall the brand name.....good GRIEF - just wait til you hit your 50's! Stink! LOL!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

BTW - I had one of my son's H.S. buddies take his car to Maaco and quite frankly....the black looked pretty good.....from 20' away (aka - 20 footer). But like DeadBodyman had said earlier, what makes the final difference, in the finished look of a paint job, isn't so much the "price" as much as it is the level of expertise in HOW the paint was sprayed. The ONLY reason this guys paint job was a "20 footer" to me, was because a closer inspection showed "orange peel craters" and a few dirt nibs, here and there. ALL of that is pretty easy to correct if he'll invest a day's worth of sanding and buffing. Once done, it'll turn out looking like a much more expensive paint job!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 PM
OLDFART952

yoh dude, i'm 61 and 4 kids later. hehehe

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.